Writing Prompt #1

Cherishing a memory of him, I smiled

Memories were rare, but I savored every one I could get.

He giggled as he jumped on the trampoline once more. He was young and free-spirited. Everything he was, was everything I hoped he would be as time passed. We were Egyptian pharaohs, astronauts, superheroes, chefs, and cowboys.

But I was a cowgirl, of course.

Together we were unstoppable. Unforgettable, we triumphed and stopped every villain or bully that stood in our way.

No one could tear us apart, I thought.

He was young and time aged him.

His dimples remained as his height increased. His short ragged hair became tousled as friends came and went.
Girls began to take notice of his change and his smile tilted into a smirk.

I reached for him, but he was never there.
I called for him, but he couldn't hear.

At school, they called him names, they hurt him, and he fought back. His nose bloody, his eye black, I reached, but was thrown to the ground with great force. 

My hands were weak and a wall was built between us. My fingers became transparent and my vision blurred with tears.

He cursed at the wind as he kicked the ground. I wanted to help him, I did, but he was gone.

From my fingers to my wrist, I was fading fast. I watched him cry, uselessly.
I cried with him, my aching heart cracking.

When he shouted that he was alone,
I wanted nothing more than to comfort him-"I'm here"- I wanted to yell as I slowly became nothing.

I watched the young boy's heart harden as he forgot the meaning of his life and never once remembered the people who cared for him so deeply.

When he grew into a man, I was nothing more than a transparent ghost.

One more day and I'd be gone.

Forever.

I watched him repair his relationships with family and friends. His heart was full and swelling with love. I watched him marry his childhood love and have two children of his own.

I sat on the grass, ripping the blades from the ground as I watched him push his little girl on the swing.

"Daddy?" She called.

He smiled, a real smile as he gave another push. "Yes."

"Have you ever had an imaginary friend?" The little girl asked her father with twinkling eyes.

Stopping her fun, he gripped the chains of the swing. He looked thoughtful before a joyful smile reached his ears.

He looked up.

My heart stopped, happy tears running down my face, as I began to fade away.

That's when the giggling boy, who once jumped on trampolines, smiled at me genuinely and answered his daughter truthfully as I faded with a pure goodbye.

•••

Hey guys! I hoped you liked this! It was my first attempt at a writing prompt. My heart aches after writing it! It was so much fun to actually think up a small plot.

So, this book will be full of my book news and more stories like this. If you're new here and wondering who I am, I'm Ely, my main account is: musicality_17

Thanks for reading this VERY short story! I hope you enjoyed it!

Let me know what you thought of it in the comments!

- Ely