The Prince's Frozen Heart

I walked down the street, slowly blending in with society, though none of them were aware of my presence.

But she was there. The girl that turned my heart from monochromatic to the shades of mellow pastel. Darling you look perfect, I pondered to myself.

Humans can’t see the divine beings. I am a Time Keeper. I can’t get involved in human business, but if I have to, I will. In exchange, we have to face punishment.

Her name was Sidney. She caught my attention when I was assigned to this job. I would follow her around every day. Round the corner of the street to her way home. She never knew I existed, though I always watch over her.

I watch her grow.

Fall in love.

Love that person back.

Go out with him.

Eat out with him.

I’m the witness to their first kiss, though it gave a pang to my heart, I’m happy for her.

As long as she’s happy, I’m happy.

Until that moment came. He cheated on her. And she saw him making out with that other gal. She cried, and my heart broke. I stopped the time. Everything froze, and she saw me. The guy and the girl were frozen and everything is, except for the two of us. She stared at me for a moment. Her eyes were confused and knocking for the answers.

Then I broke the deafening silence like a quint frail sound of falling glass.

“I’m very sorry.” I pondered.

She was confused.

“Who are you?” She asked.

“Please, break up with him. I can’t stand seeing you cry.”

The sight of her made my heart cringe with reaping sound. She was crying. She loved him a lot. I knew. Yet why I do feel like this?

I felt my heart cringe a piece. Oblivion’s Mark. We can’t help humans. Every time we help them, our heart gets broken piece by piece. Once the pieces are gone, the divine punishment will be resolved.

I froze her. I know this will hurt me, but it’s for her sake.

I erased the time that she saw the guy cheating and prevented the chances to happen it in Reality.

Time passed and she was happy again. Pieces of my heart came off. My body felt colder and colder.

Until the time came, my other hand froze and my eyes were getting blurred. But the memory of her smile was as clear as the water that flows in the Adriatic.

I slowly heal myself with the help of other divinities. The grim reapers and dream makers help my hand. Slowly, I regained control of my hand and my sight came back.

I was happy. I can tag along with her every day.

I was there on their dates.

The guy proposed to you as I planned.

The time you celebrated the announcement with your parents.

I was there.

Slowly dying.

Then the time came. It was your marriage.

I took my black suit and wore it together with a red necktie. I wore a bow hat and brought my cane.

I silently watched your wedding from a far off corner. But it was when you exchanged vows, someone barged in.

A lady wearing black came in, clutching to a revolver.

I knew this would happen Sidney.

I froze the time.

I froze everyone except for the girl with the gun.

I paced towards her.

She was confused and nervous at the same time, gritting her teeth, expecting something to happen.

I clapped my hands in front of her and her eyes shut. I flicked her head to erase her memories. Everything.

White filaments of her memory swiveled on the air. It looked like fireflies gently swaying with music. Like leaves wavering with the breeze of wind.

I erased everything. I flicked my fingers, she was gone. I sent her back to her house and implanted fake memories within her consciousness.

My heart, shattered to pieces. A few of it was left.

“It was time.” I mumbled.

I paced towards Sidney. I unfroze her. She saw me again.

“It was you.” She mumbled.

Yes I know.

I never erased the memories she has of me. But she never changed, she loved him.

Twelve people were supposed to die within this day, and I stopped the incident with my powers.

I paced towards her.

She was pretty in white, with her fair porcelain skin, blue eyes and her blonde hair flowing.

“I’m sorry.” I mumbled.

The pieces were slowly falling. I hear the pieces of my heart falling.

I paced towards her, took the veil and leaned towards her face.

I stole a kiss from her.

And Oblivion made his move.

My body shattered to pieces and flew around the open space.

When you love her too much, you have to let her go.

And I did.

I made one last move and drained all of my energy to one last task.

I gave all of the years I have to her and to her man.

She cried as my memories played around.

The time I helped the guy to come in time to their proposal.

The time I helped to gather all of their relatives for the big announcement.

The incident earlier.

She cried. I cried.

My body was slowly fading.

She rushed towards me and gave me a big hug.

But it’s too late.

I burst into light and disappeared in the nothingness.

One must sacrifice for the person they love, even if the price of that sacrifice is your life.

“How beautiful would it be to find someone who’s in love with your mind.”