Chapter 1

As I look at the beauty in front of me, my heartbeat quickened, making me breathless each second. How is she so mesmerizing?

"Hello? Earth to Darren?" She said, voice thick with worry.

"Oh? I'm sorry," I smiled ruefully. "You still have that effect on me."

I see her blush a little, and a part of me was glad because I know I still have that effect on her, too. "I missed you, Ylona."

"I... I missed you, too, Darren." I only nodded at the response.

It's been eight years, and we have gone our separate ways. Talking to her should be easy, right?

Then why do I feel this way? I thought I moved on. Watching her in television shows didn't bother me at all and listening to her songs was as normal as the sun shining. But seeing her in flesh suddenly resurrected those feelings I had buried deep in my heart long ago. The feelings that made me genuinely happy. The feelings that were the highlight of my days, weeks and months. The feelings that were the pinnacle of my youth.

I drew a calm breath before I continued, "Enough pleasantries. Let's go."

Ylona looked disappointed. Why? Was it the coldness of my voice? Was it my avoidance of the conversation furthering? My mind wondered, but I chewed on my lip before I say something that could lengthen this quick talk. After all, I'm just a mere photographer and she's a star. I'm not supposed to be friendly with a temporary client.

She heaved a careful sigh before walking towards a wooden recliner chair provided by the beach resort. Her glam team swarmed around her to fix her everything last-minute.

I'm sorry.

I picked up the materials needed for the shoot. I felt beads of sweat trickle down my forehead, and I don't know if it was due to extreme heat or something else entirely. Who knows?

A presence stood beside me. They spoke, "You alright, sir?"

I turned to them with feigned expression. I'm usually good at that. I hope it works this time. "What do you mean, Raymart?"

"You know what I mean. And may I correct you, it's Rea."

"Okay, I'm sorry, Rea," I chuckled. Out of all the assistants I worked with, he's my favorite. "Didn't mean to offend you."

"You didn't," Rea hemmed. "So... don't think you can just simply escape. Do you know each other?"

"Me and Ms. Garcia? Not really."

"Huh. Really. I'm not dumb, sir. I saw the way you looked at her."

I could almost feel my throat drying. Was I that obvious? I tried my best to keep my gaze at her devoid of any emotion, but I guess I failed this one.

"What am I supposed to do with that information?" My tone was as cold as winter, but Rea didn't even flinch a little.

"I didn't mean to pry, but I was almost certain I heard you two say you missed each other."

God save me from this.

A breeze of fresh air passed by us. A minute later, Ylona's glam team announced she's ready. That was fast.

"I like my personal matters private, Rea. Now can you please get the lenses and tripod? Thank you."

Rea gave me a half-nod. I know the gossiping nature of my assistant, but this isn't the line he should cross. Not when I still haven't cut it.

He came back with the equipment on hand. Rea sighed. "I'm sorry if I stepped out of my limit. But sir?"

"Hmm?"

"I hope you fight for it. For her." He placed the equipment on my hands.

Fight for it? For her? I wish it were that easy, but you can't fix a broken glass with just a tape. But honestly speaking? You can't fix it at all.

I drew a sharp sigh before calling her attention. "Let's start the shoot!"

Let's get this over with.