Burnt Fish

Alice was an ordinary girl who lived in an ordinary neighbourhood. She babysat for Lexie and Brandon every once and awhile when her parents where away, but today was not one of ghost times. Finally, Alice can relax. She never had time to do that anymore.

Suddenly, as Alice was getting comfortable, her home phone rang. She looked at the phone, seeing it was an unknown number, and the phone stopped ringing. Alice picked up her own phone, and decided to talk to her boyfriend, Harvey. It had seemed Harvey had already texted her... Many times...

'Hey Harvs!' She typed. The keypad vibrated with every letter pressed. When she clicked send, the phone rang again. Instead of a phone number this time, it had a series of jumbled letters.

aoe eru ydad

Her phone buzzed. Alice began to hear tapping on the window and footsteps outside. 'Harv?' Alice pressed send again. Harvey started typing back.

'Alice, wyd!? Ive texted you for the past 3 hours an you didnt respond' he wrote. Alice felt guilty. She had been taking care of the neighbour's puppy for 2 hours before they came to pick him up. Then she had fallen asleep on the couch.

'Srry... I forgot to pick up my phone and I was kinda occupied. Heh' she pressed send. In a house that was as quiet as an empty church, everything seemed louder.

Suddenly it got dark. The lightbulb hanging over her head as she lay on the couch flickered then made a popping sound, followed by a few sparks floating around. Then Alice heard footsteps on the gravel outside.

'Hey... I think someone is trying to break in. Call the cops.' Alice typed frantically. Alice looked through the glass of the backyard door. Someone stood in her backyard. Watching her.

Within the moonlight she could only see the shadowy figures bright, sharp-toothed smile, and beady glowing red eyes. Alice screamed. She went into the kitchen, grabbing a bread knife, and ran upstairs with the knife pointing down.

Alice ran to her room, locked the doors and windows. She had the idea to hide in the closet, and used that idea. 'HARV GET THE COPS!' Alice texted frantically. Send. The send made a "ping" sound.

No response.

CRASH! the window shattered, and even behind a closed door Alice could see the creatures massive grin, and demonic red eyes. She felt salty tears run down her face but she made no sound.

The  creature had the strong putrid stench of week old rotten eggs, and rotten burnt fish. She cried into her hands. She was petrified.

Her phone went off. 'Cops on their way.' Harvey's message was. Unfortunately, Alice never got it.

Alice was dead

Following Alice's death there was a search around her house. They found her in the closet, no eyes, and no ears, with her arm bleeding from deep cuts that looked like claws. Her own knife was stuck in her neck.

Frozen, on her face was the look of not fear, but sadness. She never got to say goodbye to her boyfriend, parents, friends. She didn't get to raise a family, own her own house, get married. Alice was dead.

Harvey mourned the loss of his girlfriend, and the next time he was left home alone, he scrolled through all their texts, all their stupid funny messages.

One thing was off though. Harvey was sure that he could smell...

Burnt Fish