Chapter one

My name is Alexander Hamilton and I am the last mermaid alive.

When I was about five my father, a sailor, decided to leave my mother and I because we were too much trouble. Then, when I was thirteen, my mother contracted a disease, called neridus that only mermaids could get. I got it as well, but my mother died, and I survived. I left, going back to the ocean at age 15, because the mermaid-human war had just begun.

The war started because the humans had found out that mermaids were living amongst them, and wanted them to stay in the ocean, or die. It seems surprising that all the mermaids died in the war and I was the only one who didn't fight in it, because that's not what happened. The real reason is because the humans were fed up with the war, and so once they had pushed the mermaids into the water, they released a chemical in the water to kill off the rest of them. I, however, was not in that part of the ocean, I was actually in a small lake that connected (it to his brain) to the sea. Once the chemical was gone, I swam to the kingdom, looking for any survivors, but there were none. I could not bare the sight of the kingdom, dead, so I swam to a far away island kind of close to Hawaii. I lived in a cave there for six years, until I was twenty one. This is where my story begins.