Part I

Twelve hours. That's the amount of time that had passed since the toy man delivered the toys to the shop. Of course, the Dreamcatchers knew that they would all get Chosen eventually, but it was extremely dull sitting on a shelf in the darkness, which was only broken by the occasional beam of light from a security guard's flashlight. When will morning come? They had been waiting from the moment their seams were stitched for the time of their Choosing, and now they had to wait even longer when they were so close. It really was annoying. At last, the sun began to peek over the horizon until it was high enough to send beams of light into the store. With a flash, the overhead lights came on, dazzling all of the toys in the shop. The store was finally open.

In the store sat many toys, but one in particular stood out. A stuffed dragon with scales that shined in the sun and never stayed the same color- purple one moment, green the next. No, this was no ordinary stuffed dragon, just as all of the toys in that shop were not ordinary toys. This dragon was a member of the exclusive Dreamcatchers, the very association she had been trying to get into for years. She had finally made it. Of course, none of these toys had names yet, those wouldn't come until the Choosing when the Owner chose the toy, but now that the store was open, the Choosing could begin-at least, for some. A while later, sometime around noon- judging by the number of people speaking of lunch- a young boy burst into the store. He was maybe around the age of five or six, and his mother was running after him.