Chapter 1

"Just jump Noelle!" Reagan laughed from beneath her. The train was moving fast and Noelle was sure she would lose her balance. Any minute now she would fall into a heap on the floor under her feet. After a few moments she would wake up in the hospital, nose bleeding, broken arm and such. She could see the vivid images in her mind already.

"Dumb ass! You missed the second station!" Cole shouted, his tone stone cold and mocking.

Noelle shifted her feet, stepping slowly from one foot to another. It wasn't everyday they jumped off of moving trains. She had been standing at the top for almost five minutes now. The original plan was that she jumped at the first station but that had all changed. Her hands flew to cover her mouth as she stayed put on the moving train, ignoring the comments from her friends down below. Or maybe it was too early to call them friends..

"Noelle let's go! You're the last one!" Saige called, her long brown hair dragging behind her. She looked like a tiny ant to Noelle, they seemed miles apart.

With a deep breath, she steadied herself clasping onto the small brace Calum had provided her with before they started.

"If you need anything at all, take this and blow the whistle," Calum gave her a strong look before shoving the thin piece of metal into her hands.

"Thanks but, I can do this, it's not like I'm going to back out," Noelle replied, tossing it back to him.

Calum sighed, placing a firm arm on her shoulder. Noelle glanced back slowly hoping none of the others were there to toot a few 'Woohoo's.

"I'm not saying you will. There are chances you'll jump and reach the ground like a pro-"

"So then why are you always treating me like a kid?" She snapped, glaring at him coldly.

He paused for a moment before his lips fell into a thin line. With one swift move, he grabbed onto her wrist and paused for a moment. Without a word, he slid out a thick piece of wool and knotted the whistle in between.

"Shut up and jump already," He spat, tying it around her wrist.

Without a seconds hesitation, she knocked down on the train top, falling into a sitting position. The gusts of wind blowing past her left her momentarily blind as she looked around for the opening of the whistle.

Tweeeeeeeee

Tweeeeeeeee

"Stop the train! Stop!" Reagan called, signalling the people in front of her. Noelle leaned back as the train began to slow. She could feel every sense of peace engulfing her in that moment as her blood began to feel sluggish. Her heart was beating slower and slower now almost as it would stop any minute. She felt good, at concord almost.

 But she knew that wasn't what they would want.

----------

The sun had casted an orange-yellow glow on the field and everything felt silent. A faint smell of rusted iron and old rum filled the room and shadows began to dance around the halls. Once a while, Noelle would slap off the mosquitoes that savoured her thick blood and other times she wouldn't care for it, leaning back and shrugging it off.

That easy sense of happiness flashed back in her mind and she smiled for a second. If only every instant of her life could make her feel that good. If only she never had to live for anyone else. She knew here it was different.

Here, you had to make a sacrifice to be in the 'group'. Here you had to be brave, bold, and unkind to fit in. Here, you had to show everyone that you did belong or you would be an outcast in moments. This wasn't for fun, it was a lifestyle. A lifestyle Noelle had chosen and one she had to stand by for the rest of her life. These people here, they were different. Much different in a way they could do things she wouldn't even imagine. She wanted to be like them, to be known as someone who should be feared and looked up to. No way could she ever take that back.

"You did fine Noe," Saige chuckled nervously, breaking the silence in the small span. Noelle threw her a grateful smile before closing her heavy eyelids, drowning out the rest of the conversation.

"She could have done better, this isn't really a game," Cole shrugged, downing the contents in the bottle beside him.

Zackary, the youngest scoffed, "Holy crap Cole, leave her alone already!"

Noelle stifled back a laugh. A strong, devoted laughter that would shut up Cole for good.

"I remember when Reagan first did this, she fell on top of Ross," Calum mumbled and soon laughter emitted.

"And...and when Calum first did this, he puked!" Saige smiled, her words coming out sloppy because of the laughter.

Calum's face reddened and he looked away, grabbing the first bottle he could find to hide his embarrassment.

Noelle sighed, her head titling back on the couch she could feel sleep cuddling her, holding her so close she would drift off in seconds. She had that ache in her body. That ache that was bittersweet and throbbed rhythmically as she felt all sanity leave her.

".....said she wouldn't even notice," Ross.

".......what do you even mean by that?" Saige.

"......please hold that thought, you make no sense!" Reagan.

"......Ross you're getting annoying," Cole...no was it Calum?

Soon Noelle could barely make out the voices from one another as she dozed off into a sense of security.

It was ironic really. Feeling 'safe' in one of the most dangerous places in the neighbourhood. It wasn't like they robbed stores or sold anything illegal, it was more like they ran rampage around the city finding fun things to do through danger.

There was only eight of them. Eight foolish teens who barely knew anything other than the classic you only live once saying. It was the thought of having adrenaline pump through their blood, having their brain screaming against their actions that made them feel superior. Superior against society and all its rules.

'Downtown' they called it. Where they would meet up almost daily to talk, laugh and discuss fun new games they could try with one another. It was a great way to please time and trick stress and anxiety. They wanted to get out there and see the world. They didn't want to be afraid of what they could and couldn't do.

They ranged from seventeen to eighteen, Zachary Caverly being the youngest. Him and his sister Reagan Caverly were rumored to start the whole Downtown thing and from then it was passed on to Cole Lozier. The blonde prince from down the street. It was said he didn't even want to join but was forced to due to a 'sissy' rep at school, which he now doesn't attend. After him came Ross Lee and Lillian Pegg, the lovers who were always care free and mindless of their surroundings. If anything, Ross was more of an airhead and Lillian was the 'I do what I want" type. A few months passed and Saige Reese was found. Abused and grown up experiencing hatred all her life, she wanted an excuse to leave, get out and stay out. Calum Smith was last. Last but not least. Not only did he charm the hearts of almost  every girl with his intellectual tenor and academic background, but he was a strong leader too. Him and Cole were always in charge with the rest following behind no matter what. Rumors say there were no rumors. Calum was mysterious, always shying away from anything to do with his past.

Finally was Noelle. Although she still wasn't really part of the group. She just wanted to be the 'it-factor'. The one everyone in the city was talking about. It was selfish almost, self conceited, but that was what she had learned from Downtown.

You can't just sit around and expect the fame to come.