The home of wizardry

The impossible home.

It was late, the light from the street light shone continuously through Jame's window, keeping him awake, as usual.  He would close the curtain like any normal kid, but he didn't have any, he'd bury his head under his thick duvet and pillow,  but he only had a short thick hairy blanket, it was head or feet but not both. He tried to lay on his front and drift, dreaming of a different life. He wasn't a normal kid, he didn't play on a game station in his room full of posters, stereos and computers. Instead he just sat in his bear room with no carpet, no furniture, apart from an old kids bed (to small) and old mattress and no sheets. he once tried to shift the bed so the light didn't fall on him while he tried to sleep, but he'd got a proper beating  from his, 'Uncle,' a viscous,  ugly man who was  married to  his Aunt, a weak and frail women, twisted bitter from years of abuse. James had lived there for more years than he could remember always being shouted at and beaten, forced to clean and cook for them both. Never allowed out, and never allowed any one around. They where clever in there own way, they kept his school uniform clean and smart, but again he would be beaten if it was dirty or damaged , which made him careful not to play games with others at brake time. He once got mud on the trouser, pushed to the ground by one of the many bully's who plagued his days, more beatings, more things he cant talk about.  When he'd got home, he'd received a tongue lashing from his aunt, and 'slapping' from his uncle. he stayed hungry that night. James had no real friends only one girl, equally troubled, but if they were seen together at school,  the bullying increased so they kept away from each other, apart from the occasional meeting in the library. Ah, there at least was a place he could relax, comfy chairs and stories to disappear in, Matilda , Harry,  Pug. So many stories. He wished so hard that his world would change. His world would be magically transformed, that he would leave this place forever. He lay there in the harsh glare of the street tears welling in his eyes his throat tight  painfully.  "dammit you dick"  he said to him self  "get a grip, its not going to happen". Two year and no more school and then gone, he didn't  care where, but it wont be here.

Suddenly the air felt different, electric, he could feel it on his skin. Then a Flash green and blue, coming from the window. He scrambled up holding on to the window ledge and stared out on to the same boring Stanton road,   houses one after each other, almost exactly the same, sure some had different plants, occasionally one would be painted differently maybe a shade darker or lighter color bricks than the rest, but basically all the of them the same stretching down the long road.  Suddenly another flash right at the top of the roof between the house's opposite. a strange looking chimney pot stood silhouette against the dark sky. Tall twisted  wobbly looking. then Something rolled down the roof leaving a dark guttering on the roof his eyes followed. then a line of  muliti colored  bricks seemed to pop in to existence, all the way down the house, an old looking wall grew from the floor all the way to the front of the Littlegardens. he rubbed his eyes. and looked harder it seemed as if the two house no 23 and 24, that had always stood opposites. bastions of normal home life, were now being squashed back and the colored bricks spread across between them, a window stretched it self out in the colored bricks and then another, and now a down stairs window  appeared large and old looking, small window in a great bay. then a door, tall  arched, set in from the house, seemed to roll like blind into place. Strange plants popped into garden with soft green light. fading now then nothing it just stayed there. odd out of place. A tall thin house with crazy bricks and windows and doors, its crazy dangerous looking chimney balanced on top. James stared at the crazy scenes, his mouth gaping.  POP, FLASH, POP, FLASH, POP, FLASH, POP, FLASH, all along the top roof, with each pop and flash a grotesque gargoyle appeared light by the flash of the next, they all seemed to shift around and grip the edge of the roof and then sat motionless. 

He must be dreaming. James thought, This cant be real. he looked up and down the y road no one else was out. only Jame's had witnessed this craziness. a light came on in the window up stairs on the left,  An old lamp on a bed side table, light up the scene, a large bed with deep cover and plump cushions. a table and chair ornate and full of pencils pens and other at equipment on one side a whole load of books lined the wall colourfull walls and interesting maps and pictures in frames hung on the wall . god what a lovely bedroom thought James he wished he had a room like that. His eyes where drawn to a the door which was open, showing a long corridor stretching off curving away, like a double mirror. doors on either side, weird Jame's thought thee isn't enough room for a corridor that long . the one of the many doors oped and a odd man dresses in striped red and white leggings and a garishly colored shirt with a long black and gold waist coat, with tails, stepped out and passed through to another door he opened and stepped through , James just stared. then the man,  blond hair and goatee beard, popped out and looked back up the corridor , he looked right out the window. James felt as he was looking right at him. " no" thought James "no way im in the dark and a long way off. The man stepped out back into the corridor, and walked up to the bedroom door. he stepped in looking around . as if he had never seen the room before he wandered around touching the bed, running a hand along the books. he stopped and then moved to the window. he looked right at him  again and reached up and drew a set of curtains that weren't there before obscuring the room from sight . as he did, he moved his free hand in  sweeping motion. James moved away from the window, feeling sleepy he slumped back eyes rolling as his  head hit his pillowless bed.....