50 Random Facts About Your Body

Fact #1
Humans shed about 600,000 particles of skin every hour. In fact, most of the dust underneath your bed is probably your own dead skin.

Fact #2
Researchers estimate that the average human being can distinguish between 1 trillion different odors. This is much more acute than the human eye, which can distinguish about 10 million different colors.

Fact #3
There are 100,000 miles of blood vessels in an adult human body. The largest blood vessel is the aorta, which is just over an inch in diameter.

Fact #4
An adult human being is made of approximately 7,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 atoms. Obviously, this varies based on the size of the person and their body composition.

Fact #5
A human baby has 99 more bones than an adult. A baby's skeleton is mostly made up of cartilage. As a person grows up, most of this cartilage turns into bone in a process called ossification, and the ossification process results in the joining of certain bones. Consequently, new born babies have around 305 bones, while an adult has just 206 bones.

Fact #6
In a lifetime, an average person produces about 25,000 quarts of saliva, enough to fill two swimming pools. We also produce about a litre of mucus per day.

Fact #7
Your body has enough iron in it to forge a 3-inches-long nail. You also have enough sulfur to kill all fleas on an average dog, enough carbon to make 900 pencils, enough potassium to fire a toy cannon, enough fat to make 7 bars of soap, enough phosphorous to make 2,200 match heads, and enough water to fill a ten-gallon tank.

Fact #8
We all have tiny mites living in our eyelashes. These little mites actually aren't too choosey; they'll live anywhere as long as they have access to hair follicles. They're found on other parts of the body and on a host of other mammals.

Fact #9
Pound for pound, the strongest muscle in the human body is the masseter (jaw muscle). It can clamp your chompers shut with 55 pounds of force on the incisors and 200 pounds of force on the molars.

Fact #10
Sweat itself is odorless. It's the bacteria on the skin that mingles with it and produces body odor. Bacteria that are naturally present on our skin thrive in sweaty regions.

Fact #11
Your ears and nose will never stop growing until the day you die. In fact, your earlobes will also elongate from gravity.

Fact #12
Similar to fingerprints, everyone also has a unique tongue print. It may be some time before your local police station starts taking tongue prints, but research on the required 3-D imaging technology is already being developed and tested.

Fact #13
Ounce for ounce, human bones are stronger than steel. A cubic inch of bone can bear a load of 19,000 lbs.-roughly the weight of five pickup trucks.

Fact #14
People with blue eyes have a higher alcohol tolerance. Interestingly, they also have higher rates of alcohol abuse and dependency.

Fact #15
If the human eye was a digital camera it would have 576 megapixels. Currently, the most expensive digital camera in the world has 200 megapixels.

Fact #16
All of the bacteria in our body collectively weighs about 4 pounds. That's enough to fill a big soup can. In fact, there are more bacteria in your mouth than there are people in the world.

Fact #17
In some cardiovascular units, slow and quiet music is used to relax the patients and lower their blood pressure and heart rate.

Fact #18
Your brain accounts for only 2% of your body weight, yet it uses 20% of the total oxygen and blood in your body.

Fact #19
If uncoiled, the DNA in all of your body's cells would stretch 10 billion miles, which is long enough to reach from here to Pluto and back.