The Text

Cody hesitated to type out the words on his iPhone 2. He had been dreaming of the special moment he would have with the ravishing Allie. In every daydream of his, he would imagine him and Allie prancing delicately on a field of daisies and sunflowers while holding hands. They would pop open a bottle of champagne, engage in frivolous play, then kiss as the sunset spray  pastel colors all across the horizon in the background.

But he knew much better than to dream of the near future. He had already decided for himself that today was the day that he was going to tell Allie that he had feelings for her. Picking up his Barbie phone case, he typed out:

Cody B.

-will you promise not to judge me?

-cause well ahem

Allie M. 

-sure 

-nice throat clearing lol

Cody B. 

-u asked who would put you on their list of potential bed buddies, well

...

-you're on my list :D

Allie M. 

-nice

-bed buddy ;))

Cody B. 

-;) 

Allie M. 

-but if my mom ever hears that I'm with you...she would kill me -_-

Cody B. 

...

-doesn't mean we have to do it in private ;)

Cody nearly fainted on his couch when he was thinking about Allie. He knew that they were meant to be from day one. The way that they used to giggle uncontrollably alongside one another in math class and how they used to go on romantic hikes together just right before dawn was breaking were all just meaningless memories to Cody now. There was nothing in his way anymore. He dashed out the front door in an instant, starling his older sister Dré. She scanned his mortified face for suspicious messages he was giving off. 

At last, she murmured in a low, malicious voice, "Run." Dré let out a harsh shriek of laughter. "And hide. I will tell Mom..."

"Well, you can't since she's gone...so..." Cody secretly took another step closer to Allie.

"Then I'll tell Granny Kae."

"C'mon, she's clueless. Her mind is as messed up as my room." Cody protested, suddenly making a run for the door. Just as his fingertips traced the handle, Dré stopped him.

"Granny Kae!" She screamed, grinning ominously at Cody.

"Yes?" Granny Kae came wobbling down the stairs with her thin, wooden cane that looked like it was about to snap any second. She slowly trotted over to where the siblings were once she managed to help herself downstairs.

"This is taking forever," Cody muttered under his breath, just quietly enough for Dré not to hear.

"Granny Kae, Cody is going somewhere he shouldn't be going." She punched him simultaneously in the stomach.

"I'm just going on a...date."

Dré gasped, "You're only 18..."

"What?! No! I'm 18! When else do you expect me to get laid?!"

"And what is this 'date' thing? Why are you going on one? Should I be concerned, Cody?" Granny Kae reasoned, ruffling her puffy white hair.

"No, Granny, it's a time when two lovers meet together. Cody's too young for that," Dré protested, blocking the door from Cody's sight.

"Let me tell you kids a story. There was a bright red bird named Andy that wanted to see the world. His owner, however, kept him in a copper-wired cage all day long. Andy never got to see the world and often tried to escape the tiny cage. One day, Andy got so frustrated that he died. Dré, Cody, do you see the message in this story?"

The siblings, still in absolute shock that their grandmother would tell them such an absurd story, glanced at each other. Out of nowhere, both of them sprinted out the door.

"I guess they didn't like my story," Granny Kae shrugged, heading back upstairs.

Once Cody was just feet away from Allie's doorbell, Dré caught up with him.

"Okay, maybe I overreacted a little bit." Dré ran her fingers through her hair.

"Yeah, me too," Cody panted, wiping a droplet of sweat off his forehead.

"Just remember" Dré rested her arm on Cody's shoulder. "To always wear protection." And with that, she smiled placing a tiny package into his pocket, and started heading back to their apartment.

"Okay," Cody whispered back, grinning.