What happened to the Little Prince?

After the Little Prince arrived back to his planet, he stared and wept beside his wilted rose. He loved her, and she loved him too, but maybe love alone could not save everything after all. He took his seat with him and sat at the spot where he can see the sun as it rises and sets. He stayed there for days, not minding the brightness and colors of the sun that had almost blinded him.

He had almost forgotten about his sheep too. He pulled it out of his pocket and saw that it was sleeping. He let it.

It had been a struggle for him to fall asleep at night. Sometimes, he did not sleep at all. He kept on thinking about his friend on Earth. During the day, he had no one to talk to. His rose was gone, and his friend was a million light years away.

He was becoming lonely now. He was missing his rose and friend. He wondered why before, he was able to live alone. Now, it seemed like being alone makes no sense.

The next day, he grabbed his shovel to pull out the growing baobab trees. The following days, he tried to live just like before; as if he never loved a rose, or traveled a far distance, or met a few people like his friend and the fox who told him  the most sensible things he had  heard.

He was trying to forget those parts of his life even though it was utterly difficult because those were the best times he ever had. In between his thoughts, he remembered his sheep. It was still sleeping. So he thought that maybe, it was dead. He took his shovel to dig a hole.

He buried the sheep along with the memories of the person who had given it to him.