Football Love

My hands tremble as I open the door to the house. I walk in with Cristiano and Mario behind me. I set down my bags and look around.

“Why are you silent, say something” Mario says.

“It’s been eight years Mario, oito anos since I’ve last stepped a foot inside of this house” I say taking in the familiarity of the home I missed for nearly a decade. And then I hear a bark. I look down to see my golden retriever laying at my feet whining.

“Olá querida” my housekeeper says and I smile.

“Ele ainda mim reconhece” I say and hug the dog who barks in happiness and licks my face.

“Também senti sua falta de Bruno” I say kissing his head and turn around to see Mario staring at me in shock.

“What happened Mario?” I say chuckling.

“I had no idea you could speak the Spanish” he says.

“No I spoke Portuguese Mario, it’s my native language” I say and Cristiano looks at me in surprise. Just as I am about to walk away, Cristiano sticks his foot out in attempts to trip me. I glare at him.

“Babaca” I mutter walking away while he laughs from behind.

I open the door to my room and suck in a breath. It was covered in soccer posters of my brother and me. I put my suitcase in my closet and pull out a trunk from beneath the bed. I open it and pull out the old jersey.

I hold it up and read the name.

C. Hernández.

Catarina Adriana Lima Hernández.

That was my full name given to me by my parents. I sigh putting the jersey away before heading downstairs to find the dining table already filled with my favourite food.

“Obrigado Raquel para esta bela refeição” I say smiling at the old lady who in turn nods her head smiling lovingly at me. After mamãe left this world along with my father, she took care of our home and my and brother and I.

“Say what?” Mario says confused.

“Mario, você perdedor, I said thank you for this lovely meal” I say.

“What did you just say?” he asks even more confused.

“Oh, você perdedor, that means you loser I say sticking my tongue out and he rolls his eyes.

“Oh my god!’ I say getting up.

“What happened now?” Cristiano says but i ignore him.

“Is that Pasteis de Nata?” I ask.

“Of course my dear, I made it just for you” she says.

“You can speak English?!” Mario says and Raquel laughs.

“Of course I can, Catarina taught me” she says.

“Who’s Catarina?” Mario asks.

“Me” I say pointing to myself.

“Who are you and what have you done to Adriana Lima?” he says dramatically getting up.

“Mario, you fool, my full name is Catarina Adriana Lima Hernández” I say laughing.

“Wow that’s a long name” he says and I nod.

“Are you related to José Hernández?” Cristiano asks and I almost drop my fork.

“Y-yea, why?” I ask.

“Your name seems familiar, Catarina, I can’t recall where I’ve heard it though” he says and I nod.