Coco (2017)

I'm starting with the latest  Pixar movie , Coco. So, I do this same format with all my reviews,(even non in this book) so this is kind of what to expect) 

First Impression 

  I don't exactly remember my first impression for this movie. I remember being excited to see it, and I thought Miguel was adorable, but I spent more time defending this movie than being excited for the movie to come out. Okay, so I don't want to go back to the past, because a lot of people changed their mind, but many people were already comparing it to the Book of Life. I mean, obviously being a movie about a specific holiday, it's going to have similarities to another movie about the same holiday (look at Christmas movies) but they just didn't look similar to me? 

  That may be an unpopular opinion, but it got to a certain point where it was obvious people were just looking for reasons to hate Coco, because they used the same arguments for it being a ripoff for TBOL,  and people kept on defending it. But now a lot of people love Coco, so that's good.

Characters

  I actually liked most of the characters in this movie, but my two favorites were obviously Hector and Miguel. But I'll be honest, I absolutely loved Dante! Even though he's Pixar, he became my new favorite Disney animal sidekick! I also think Miguel and Hector became two of my favorite Pixar characters. 

  I mean, I didn't even think Abuelita was that bad to be honest. I actually liked her authoritarian role. I liked the story behind the Rivera family, and the neat part of it all is I sympathized with both Imelda and Hector, and I was even angry at them at certain points. However, the character I sympathized most with Coco. Her father left her as a child, and even as an old lady she remembered him. 

  But seriously, this is like the one movie where it's actually a happy moment when a major non-villain character dies. But I'll get their in a moment.

Plot

  So, as you guy can tell, I actually really love this movie. However, I did think it was slightly predictable. I mean it's not super predictable, like the closer to the big "villain reveal" we got, the more obvious it was that Ernesto wasn't Miguel's father. 

  But overall the movie was pretty good. I wish I could say more, but I feel like I've already said everything in before categories.

Music

  I usually only use this category for musical movies, so typically not Pixar movies. But as this movie, while not necessarily a musical, does surround music a lot, so I'll add this category in. 

  Okay, so of course, as the music plays a big role in the movie, it used a lot of Mexican-style music (as it surrounds Mexican culture) so that's kind of a given. But the music wasn't awful. Most of it wasn't memorable, but that could be the fact that Coco wasn't a musical. So I didn't think it was awful, yet I didn't think it was outstanding.

Overall Message 

  Okay, so I really adore the movie message of family, and I thought it was done really well. Miguel at first wanted to find his great great grandfather for reasons that were rather selfish, once he meets his great great grandfather, his focus shifts to helping him. At the end, he is more concerned with the memory of Hector living on than his own desires with being allowed to play music. 

  However, once Hector's picture is hung up, he is allowed to play music once again.

 Critical Reviews

  Okay as I stated before, this movie got a lot of hate before it came out. People were saying it was going to ripoff TBOL, and they were going to boycott it and stuff like that. People also apparently thought the movie wasn't going to represent Mexican culture well. However, once the movie came out, the claims were disproved.  Most people I know who are Mexican love this movie. I haven't heard one claim that it rips off the Book of Life. 

  Honestly, I think this proves that you shouldn't judge a movie before you've seen it. I have seen people who didn't like the movie. But that's okay, this movie isn't for everyone. But it just really annoyed me how quickly jumped to the conclusion that this was good to rip off TBOL. I liked TBOL, but this movie was great as well.

Overall Opinion 

  Obviously, I adored this movie. I would place it as my second favorite Pixar movie, and it's definitely in my top ten Disney movies (I think it's eighth). But honestly, I really enjoy it. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, because it's not for everyone, but it's obvious for me to tell who will and won't enjoy it. 

Movie Rating: 95% A

  Go ahead and request a movie for me to review. Just know that not all my reviews will be positive.