The Shadow

As I approached the deserted house at the end of the road, I saw a single shadow move out of the corner of my eye. It blended with the shaded, yet dull forest around me so well that I almost didn't see it at all. I had gotten a split second to look at it, but it was gone before I could tell what it was. The black shape looked so familiar, and yet so foreign at the same time.

I sighed quietly, not knowing nor understanding what it was, but accepting that fact that it existed. It simply just didn't matter, in the end.

My brain must of gone on autopilot, since I don't remember when I put the brakes on my old rust bucket a car, nor do I remember getting out of it. It was like my brain already knew what had to be done, and it wanted this burden off of it too.

Oh Lord, please let this work, I prayed silently.

A gentle breeze lifted my brown hair slightly, the wind leaving a whistling in my ears. I closed my eyes, and I was thrown back to a time when nothing worried me. Green leaves attached to the trees caught the summer wind and caused them to dance. Birds hopped along the branches and sang to an unheard tune. Bees buzzed around the garden flowers, and dogs played in the backyard with the neighborhood kids, their screams of happiness being carried along with the breeze.

It was a much happier time, back then.

I opened my eyes once more, and the feeling of happiness, summer and glee disappeared just as quickly has it had come. The trees that were so green and welcoming were now bare and foreboding, the leaves brown and dead along the ground. There was no birdsong, no bees, no joyous yelps of dogs or children to be heard. The silence was so heavy that I felt like I was suffocating.

I turned myself toward the house, thinking the house would be better. But alas, it wasn't. The house was sagging, as if it couldn't handle the weight of itself anymore. It felt hollow, like someone had sapped all of the joy out of it. A sadness was laid upon it, like it knew I was there, and it was screaming for help, for relief. It was as if a mirror was set in front of me, to remind me why I was there.

A single thought crossed my mind as I stared, shell-shocked at the house I once called home. Am I really too late?

A single tear fell down my face as I turned away. I had come back here to find myself, because I had lost who I truly was. I lost myself out in the real world, and home was the only place where I could possibly find happiness.

I got back into my car, and by then the tears wouldn't stop coming. I sobbed as the car turned on, but as I drove down the long, winding road, I looked in the rear-view mirror one last time, and saw something. The shadow was there once again, but I recognized it this time.

It was the shadow of my former self, and it was waving goodbye.

~~~~~

Not as good as my other ones, but I don't think it's too bad. If you enjoyed it, please let me know! And if you didn't, tell me what I could do better. All constructive criticism is welcome!

Note: Image by Samantha Claire. I found it using google.

I hope you have a wonderful Morning/Afternoon/Evening!