[ Lock ]

"Aw, aren't children just precious?

Ellie said, looking at the tiny toddler making a slow attempt to waddle back over to his mother, whose arms were out wide. Ellie and Brian sat on a pad of chipped stone bricks.

The two were sat under a maple tree, one that nearly brushed against the window of the house's window. The gentle pitter-patter of the rain splashing down onto the tree's leaves, and turning into thuds when it hit the concrete below.

"Sure. Precious"

Brian said sarcastically, grabbing his soda and taking a quick drink. Nearly spilling it all over his jeans when Ellie nudged him in the shoulder with her elbow.

"Hey, I'm being serious! One day when I have a kid, I'm going to name them Lock"

Brian nearly lets out an audible snort as he put his hand up to his mouth, his eyebrows furrowed as he glanced over at Ellie.

"The fuck?"

"What? It's a good name!"

She insisted, smiling as she looked over at him and nudged him once more. Brian took another sip of his soda. Leaning over to the ground to wiggle out a can of soda out of the pack and handed it to her.

"'Lock'. Where did you even come up with that one?"

She took the soda can in her hand, looking over to the fence that led a border around the house. The sun dipped below the horizon, barely visible above the fence. Ridged ash brown grass pressed against the fence with a soft chilling breeze swooping through every so often. It was nice here, simply enjoying nature. Neither of them got to do that often because they lived in the city. They only scarcely go out to events like this, but when they do it's definitely worth it.

"My grandpa gave me his necklace that had a small lock hooked on the chain, I think I've shown it to you before."

"Oh. That thing. Yeah, I remember that. Didn't you lose it?"

"Nope! Well, yes, but I found it. I left it at the pool, luckily someone gave it to the front desk and didn't steal it."

She explained. Ellie reached into her hoodie pocket before pulling out a small chain necklace, with a small silver lock dangling down. Crimson splotches rested on the necklace. It definitely hasn't aged well. Brian nearly let those words slip out, but quickly caught himself as he looked at the happiness in her eyes when she stared down at the rusty necklace.

She placed the chain necklace back in her hoodie pocket. She pulled the tab on the soda and what followed was the signature gentle crackling sound of the fizz.

"Shit, that's really lucky right there, the fact that nobody stole it."

"I know! I thought it--"

Her smile returned for a split second before replaced with a look of confusion as she felt something hit the back of her leg and slot itself between the patch of bricks and her leg. She turned her body to be met by a young girl walking up to her.

"Can you get the ball?"

The girl's voice is nasally, almost as if she had a cold. She was wearing a black sweatshirt with jeans and looked no more than nine years old. That was no surprise though, most parents take their kids to these events, and most of the children seem to be no more than eleven. There were a few outliers who seemed to be above fourteen, but they weren't within sight.

Ellie realized that what had brushed against her was likely the ball that the girl was talking about. She leaned down and grabbed the ball, ignoring the mud covering the ball as she brought it up and handed it to the girl.