The Royal Affair

SOFIA

I am tapping my foot along with the beat of the music playing in my head as I distract myself from waiting too long for Amber to get dressed. The sun is already peeking its way from the clouds and I don't want to bother myself thinking how the hell we should get out of this castle before the maids and other guards caught us red-handed. My hands are comfortably lying between my thighs as my arms rest side to side. I've been sitting like this for years without being discovered by the people in the castle who only cared for demeanor and etiquette.

Maybe being a princess isn't just for me even if I lived here for 10 years.

All my thoughts are interrupted by the creaking sound of the door. I move my glance towards it and there I see a fair-skinned girl with the usual red earrings, having her blonde hair cascading until her hips and her amber-colored eyes where she got her name, wearing a long-sleeved maroon dress beneath the black vest hovering above it as well as matching black hat and boots.

Her pinkish lips curved into a smirk.

"Done checking me out, Sofia?" she asked. I cannot stop myself from wincing on her statement. Standing up, completely ignoring what she said a while ago, I motion the window in my room and glides in the direction of it.

"We don't have all the time in this world to stay in the castle, Amber. We need to go." I nonchalantly said and open it, taking a glimpse of the cushions I prepared beforehand in order to pull-off this plan. I gestured Amber to get close and she also peeks outside where she can have a clearer view of our win-win escape.

"I..." she mumbled. She looks at me with her worried amber eyes.

"I think I'm not ready to do this. I mean, we cannott go outside---"

Before she can finish her sentence, I quickly placed my index finger on her lips and give her my sweetest smile. I reach for her hand as I position myself in the window, composing myself ready for a stunt.

"Trust me, Amber. We can do this.." I said then intertwine our fingers.

"....together." I added. She nods, settling beside me and heaving a sigh.

"In a count of three. One,"

A smile forms in my lips as I watch her maintaining counting even if she's anxious about going outside the castle today.

"Two,"

She looks at me as if she noticed that I am looking at her for a couple of minutes. She smirks and winks, making me look in the opposite direction. Well duh, she's obviously flirting with me and I'm not a saint to restrain myself from the feelings I have in my chest.

"Three!"

And because I'm drowned in my own mischievous thoughts, Amber already jumped, without letting go of my hand and dragging me in the free fall. I unconsciously wrapped my arms around her, thinking that she might hit the pavement if ever our stunt didn't go well. I heard her gasp because of the gesture but I still maintained my impassive face. I don't like it when she's reading my thoughts. Especially, when they are all about her.

"W-why did you do that?" she stuttered. This time, it is my turn to smirk.

"Did what?" I asked. She blinks and tilts her head, trying to let go of the ideas roaming in her mind while her cheeks are burning red.

"N-nothing." she said and stands up first. I also get on my feet and look around, checking if there are living souls that can see us right now. I dart her a glance and bring out my hand, inviting her to hold it.

"Shall we, Amber?" I asked. She doesn't hesitate to place her hand over my palm as we stride our way outside the castle. Her hand feels warm and I cannot deny the fact that I like it this way. Damn, my heart is hammering in my chest. I just hope that she won't notice it.