Chapter One - Average Joe

What do you think of when you think of a racehorse? Until last year,I thought of a sleek,aerodynamic speed machine with powerful muscles and a long neck and legs. Then my father took me to a horse auction to surprise me for my birthday. “first,we have an underclassed Thoroughbred. Two years old, saddle trained and ready for an experienced rider as a new jumper or perhaps a dressage trainee.” he was pearly white,but aside from his color,there was nothing striking about him. He was kind of shaggy and his head hung low. From the droopy way he blinked,i knew he must be sedated. “Daddy,”I said, leaning over to whisper to him. “I want him.”

“are you sure? It's only the first horse--”

“Dad,I want him. Try,please?”the only other bidder was a kill buyer,and they stopped at three hundred. I got a nondescript,average joe horse. We didn't stay much longer,only long enough to see the next horse led out,a two year old warmblood that would be a perfect eventing horse.

"what?"I asked Dad,he kept glancing at me skeptically as we waited to load my new horse in the trailer. "you think I'm crazy."I accused. he shrugged and shook his head. "Dad!"I exclaimed,offended.

"it's just-- you want to be an eventer,but you picked an average horse who probably hasn't seen a dressage arena in his life!"

"Dad,I wanted him. you won him for me. unless I'm mistaken,it's too late to get your money back, so deal with it. he's my horse now. isn't that right,Joey?"I cooed as I scratched his nose.

"Joey?"Dad raised an eyebrow at me. I shrugged. "you called it. he's just an Average Joe of a horse."