The Jellyfish that Drowned

Jacket on the side.  Ignore the boy, please.  -_-

+~+~+~+~+~+~+

H-hello, m-my name is Manami.  Manami Greyson.  Nice to meet you all. You see, my mom was very fond of Japan and named me Manami, meaning ‘love sea’.  I am seventeen years old and I just finished high school in America.  I live with my dad, but I'll be moving out in a year.  My birthday is the 16th of October, and its November right now, so I have a whole year until I can leave this... place.  We've been here for two weeks and just bought some rundown, two bedroom, one floor apartment.  Since my dad is currently drunk off his ass and we ran out of food, I have to stop by the supermarket…  If I can remember where it is.  Sighing, I lifted myself off the crappy couch and turned off the T.V. before I left for the store.  Can't waste any money on leaving it on, right?

+~+~+~+~+~+~+

I am officially lost.  I have absolutely no clue where I am, how to get home, or where I can get help.  I sighed in defe—wait.  What was that?  I cautiously walked out of the ally I was sulking in.  Um, there are three people hanging around a pet store, which is closed, and demanding a jellyfish.  One is some stylish bearded dude with an earring and wavy hair.  Another is an awkward looking girl with her hair in braids and she’s wearing sweats.  The last one…  She was tall and slender, with big eyes and long lashes, complemented by pale skin adorned with beautiful clothes and jewelry.  Holy crap!  She was like a modern day princess!  I wish I could look like that!  She was thin and curvy at the same time!

She stood confidently in front of the pet store and pointed at a jellyfish with spots on it, “Give us that one!  Hop to, shop boy, what’s the problem?”

The boy hesitated.  “Well, you see, my boss…”  He scratched the back of his head.

“So?  Just tell him the poor thing died earlier!  If you don’t do something, that’s what’ll happen anyway.”  She turned from the boy to the girl, still on the ground.  “Right?  You said that it would die soon?  This…  Jelly thing?”

The girl sat up straighter. “Yes!  It’ll die!  It’s- it’s already dead if that helps!!”  The two purchased the jellyfish and began to walk somewhere.  They were already walking away, but I need to ask them something!  My breathing picked up as a  jogged towards them my way-too-big-jacket tapping against my thighs and the sleeves fluttering past my hands.

“Hey! Hold on, please!”  I called softly.  Only the awkward one heard me, but seeing as the princess was following her, she stopped as well and turned back at me.  A faint blush of embarrassment came to my cheeks.  “I’m sorry to disturb you, but do you know where the grocery store is?  I just moved here…”  My voice got quieter as I went on, but they somehow managed to still hear me.

“Oh yes, of course!”  The princess smiled.  “What’s your name?  I am Kuranosuke!”

“Um, I’m Manami.  Manami Greyson.  Nice to meet you…”  I just wanna go to the store!  “It was cool what you did back there, by the way.”

“Oh, you saw that?  It was so much fun!  Look at how much this jellyfish needs, too!”  Did she forget already??  “Oops, sorry, got a bit side-tracked.”  She told me where the store was, the awkward one told me her name was Tsukimi, and they left.

I sighed.  That took way too long.  After I bought all the food we need some beer, which my dad already has a guy to give me alcohol to bring to him, and everything else we needed, I walked home as slowly as possible.

I stepped in the door two hours after I left, and the house was completely silent.  I put all the groceries away, did some laundry and made my way to my bedroom, watching warily for any signs of him.  I made it to my room safely, locked the door, and stood in front of my mirror.  I had auburn hair that was shoulder-blade length, but always messy.  My face was dotted with freckles and small scars, which I covered with a light layer of foundation.  I had hazel green eyes that stood out obnoxiously against my almost unhealthy pale skin.  My lips were pink and full, one of the only things I liked, but I bite them a lot so I often have cuts on them.  I threw off my jacket and examined my outfit.  I had on a white shirt with a few holes in it, but it was an old shirt.  My jeans were black and loose, a ‘boot cut’.  I always wore my huge jacket because it was it was like my shell, a safe zone.  It hides my awkward, pudgy body from the judgmental eyes of society.  A sad smile formed on my face and fell backwards onto my bed and fell asleep, my chest heaving with silent sobs.