Ch.1

It was on the week of December, Bill and Candy went down the street to the liquor store to buy Ma' another pack of chicken broth that the others including myself were going to use to help Ma' prepare for dinner. We had all decided that a warm bowl of chicken soup was the best for all nine of us on the freezing, snowy day of december. We all huddled together in the kitchen like a pack of hairless dogs trying to keep warm in the freezing streets by the standing by the source of heat which was the stove where the large grey pot of chicken soup was boiling. Bill and Candy had soon returned with the pack of chicken broth and change that they handed over to Ma'. Ma' had poured the broth powder into the boiling pot before blending it all together with a large wooden spoon. All my brothers and sisters watched her cook at awe licking our lips in hunger smelling the great aroma of chicken soup. The pleasant smell of the chicken broth mixed in with the carrots, squash, potatoes, and cabbage was floating in the air of our small battered house.

"dinners ready." Ma' exclaimed carrying many bowels of different shapes and sizes, some chipped while others were cracked from the sides.

I sat next to my Eldest brother David in his blue overalls by the edge of the table. I scarfed down my bowl of chicken soup like a dog eating his first meal in weeks just like the rest of my siblings on the table. Ma' always tried to make us have manners on the dinner table but it never worked since we were always hungry, but we were always grateful for every little thing that was placed in our dinner table, well everything actually.

"Mandy's doing Dishes today." Ma' announced to the table. Mandy who was on the other end of the table sighed lazily already not wanting to do her chores, making the rest of us laugh at her action.

"But Ma' the water out'a be mighty cold." david defended making Mandy sit up in her chair cheerful hearing that she might not have to do chores.

" ah, silly me your correct." Ma' then turned to Mandy. "Lucky rascal." Mandy chuckle.

Rascal is what Ma' called us whenever something good happened to us or whenever we found a way out of a bad situation. I'm not sure where she got it From, but we never bothered to question it.

" why would you look at the time it's quiet late already. Y'all should have been in bed already."

We all complained ang sighed not wanting to go to bed, but went up to our rooms anyway knowing better than to complain g to Ma' and have her lecture us. My brothers and sisters shared everything, but luckily that wasn't my case. I made my way to the roof of the house where a small dirty and tattered matris laid with a matching blue blanket which has now taken the color of black due to it not being washed in a while. Snow laid on the old wooden floor which had fallen from the little hole a few meters away from the matrix which i sleep in. I got comfortable in my bed and cover my blanket over my small body and looked out into the city threw the hole that i uncover with a blanket. The pure white snow fell from the night sky into the tiny houses below. I Think i stared out into the small town for about twenty minutes before drifting into a deep sleep.

Not long after have i woken up to the sound of airplanes flying over the city. I rubbed my eye sleepily before moving the blanket a side once more squinting into the city. Only did my eyes widen upon seeing large jets from the army fly above the City.

"EVERYONE GET UP! THE ARMIES PLANES ARE HERE!" I yelled running down the stairs, waking everyone up. Ma' was the first to respond.

" Everyone to the shed!" Man' yelled worriedly to everyone. David grabbed the youngest of my brother and sisters and ran to the shed that was a bit under the ground. I took the hands of Bill and Candy and ran out the house scared. ma ' was the last out of the house. Upon running The planes dropped bombs into the city nearby, it was such a terrifying sight to witness, that i froze to the ground. Luckily ma' had noticed and carried me to the safety shed.

" is everyone here?" ma' asked catching her breath. Everyone stayed quiet out, until David spoke out.

"Ya' we all here ma'." David said cradling Jessica and jacope. I wasn't paying attention to any one the only thing i focused on was the screams and sounds of Explosives outside of our small safety shed.

"What we gonna do Ma'?". Bill asked holding on to Candy who shook terrified. Ma' shook her head unsure what to do or of what was going on.

"I'm not sure, but all i know is that we can't stay here any longer. It's far to dangerous." Ma' stated thinking while pacing back and forth in the safety shed. The rest of us just watched her trying to calm ourselves down. "We'll leave this place first thing tomorrow morning. You guys just try to get some sleep."

Everyone slept huddled together, but i just couldn't, i was far to busy thinking of the possibilities. It didn't take long till i was unconsciously trying to stay awake. MA stayed awake still traumatized from the earlier events watching us in silents as we slept in our miny herd. I couldn't leave her like this so a crawled away from the herd and crawled on her lap turning her head to face me with my tiny cold hands. MA looked at me with a hint of curiosity on her face. I said no words and just looked into her hazel eyes with a plain look on my small face. She got the hint and smiled sweetly before embarrassing me into a warm and mothering hug as i hugged her back and we both drifted to deep slumber.