The black man

This one is a popular one and there was an incident in my school that made it even more popular....

It was an unusually dark night. There was no moon and thick black clowds covered the skies. The usually noisy students sat quietly reading their books for it was prep time. The night stank of sinister intent. Everyone felt it. Nobody knew why.
Janet Doe felt very ill but she did not want to go to the sick bay. She had refused to take her medicine once before and she was sure the clinic matron would chase her or even punish her for returning so she decided to go rest in the hostel.
She went to the class of the girl who held the keys for her hostel to collect them and headed off to the hostel. There was no one of the path. The faint light coming from the classes far away were the only sign of life she could see... Even the crickets seemed dead.
Janet felt apprehensive. There was this choking feeling she suddenly felt in her chest. She was tempted to go back but she was too tired to turn around. All she could think about was her soft bed and he comfortable pink fluffy blanket.
She could hear the crunching sound her sandals made when she walked on the withered grass. The sound didn't make her feel any better. She began to sweat although the night was quite chilly.
She was about to turn back when she sighted the gates to the hostel. She heaved a sigh of relief and went in.
The hostel square was a large bare space albeit a few trees  with the actual hostels surrounding it.
Janet saw a tall black shadow at the edge of the square, near a particular hostel but just brushed it off deeming it to be just a tree. Her hostel was opposite the strange tree hostel so she walked towards the and searched for the keys in her bag.
As she searched for them, she began to have a strange feeling...like someone or something was watching her. When she turned round,she saw nothing....apart from the strange shadow tree which seemed a little closer than she first thought. She turned back and continued searching for her keys. For some reason, she had a hard time finding them. The staring sensation continued, this time even stronger than the last time. She stopped. Then slowly turned back. She prayed and begged God for it to be her imagination. The tree was even closer.
She continued searching for the key with desperate hurridness, tears streaming down her face, her legs shaking.
Suddenly... She felt someone breathing down her neck. She froze..... It was suddenly difficult for her to breathe. Her heart was pounding so hard she thought it would burst through her chest. She summoned her last bit of courage and turned around. The tree was just behind her, except.... It wasn't a tree...it was a man. He had no face and no features... And he was completely black. Just like a shadow.