Chapter 1

I awoke to the chiming of the wake-up bell. I looked at the clock on the wall. 7:15 am. I looked around my shared dorm room to see my friend still asleep. Liam spent half of his time asleep. He was such a heavy sleeper that I could set off a bomb and it wouldn't wake him up. A knock at the door came. I pulled my covers off and opened the door to be met by Matron. She was holding a small tupperware container with 'MITCHELL PINES' scrawled across the milky lid and a glass of water.
"Good morning Pines. I have your medication here," Matron spoke in her jovial, motherly voice. I felt a pang of sorrow as I thought of my own mother, the terrible thing she had done to rip my father apart. Matron handed me the glass and opened the tub and pulled out the 2.5 mg white pills. She pushed one out of the wrapping and into my outstretched hand. I took a mouthful of water and dropped in the pill. I swallowed it and shuddered. Matron took the glass and looked at me.
"Thank you Matron," I smiled.
"You are very welcome Pines. We don't want another episode do we?" She chuckled and walked away. I closed the door and Liam stirred.
"Get your lazy ass out of bed Liam!" I yelled as I pulled the covers off of my blonde haired friend. He was wearing only his boxers. I rolled my eyes and put the covers back over his lower half.
"I'm awake, just resting my eyes," Liam groaned, his voice sleepy, but his grey eyes opening slowly.
"It is the first proper day of school. Get up!"
"I'm fine where I am," Liam mumbled.
"Fine. Your dad will have a go at you though," I said as I dressed into my uniform. Liam's father, Mr Micheal Cooper, was one of the school teachers. Liam turned over and pulled his covers up over him. I shook my head and left the dorm, heading towards the girls area. I knocked on door 6, to be greeted by Adelaigh Redwood. Her short, boy-like hair was unbrushed and her violet eyes looked up at me.
"Bonnie has gone to breakfast," she said before I could open my mouth.
"Thank you, but I wasn't looking for Bonnie," I said.
"Oh, erm. Do come in," Adelaigh smiled as she pulled me in.
"Thanks. I was hoping that you were free," I thanked, my words sticking a little in my throat.
"What do you want to talk about?" Adelaigh asked me.
"I wanted to talk about the security at the doors. The only unguarded doorways are the ones into the Courtyard," I started. She sat on her bed and looked at me.
"We're safe from murderers though," Adelaigh pointed out.
"I tried getting out last year. First time, I was given a warning, second time I was locked up in the basement for a few days. They only fed me soup and water. I remember another student down there, I didn't speak to them much. One day when I woke up, they just disappeared and I never saw them again," I continued.
"Mitchell, they could have been pulled out of school, or have gone on sick leave," Adelaigh sighed. She was so rational it actually frustrated me sometimes. Bonnie would listen to my tale and theorise on the possibilities.
"Adelaigh, I know that we got off on the wrong foot last term, but I need you to believe me," I pleaded. She looked at me strangely, her eyes scrutinising me.
"I'm sorry Mitchell, but I simply think that you are overreacting to a situation," Adelaigh responded.
"Is there a simpler name to call you?" I asked.
"Call me Ace if you want," she shrugged, "as long as I can call you Mitch."
"Agreed. I think that we should go to breakfast," I suggested, the awkwardness growing between us. Ace nodded and opened the door. She pushed me out and closed the door again. The breakfast bell rang and I found myself headed downstairs. Instead of navigating the labyrinth towards the Library, I headed towards the 3rd year common room. Inside were a few students reading books from the mini 3rd year library situated at the back. The grey interior made the school seem more like a prison than should be necessary. Our grey uniform also made the school drearier. Sat in the far corner was Bonnie and another student, one I vaguely recognised as Roxanne Easton, the two in a conversation. I started to walk over when our head of year Mr Moore sat at this desk nearer the front of the room. He scanned the room with his vibrant green eyes until they settled on me.
"Pines, over here," Mr Moore pointed to the seat next to him. I started my way over, the walk seeming like a marathon. Each step I took seemed to make no difference until I suddenly appeared in front of him. I sat down in front of him, my heart beating quickly, like the beating wings of a hummingbird.
"Yes, Sir?" I asked as politely as I could, anxiety coursing through my veins.
"If you could come with me to the head's office, then we can discuss the matters further. However, all you need to know right now is that a body had been found on school grounds, in your dorm room this morning. You are under suspicion of murder."

All air was sucked from my body as his words cut into me. A body in my dorm. The three boy's faces that I slept with popped into my head. Liam Cooper, Brady Jones and Pheonix Cooke.
"Who died?" I asked, my voice wavering.
"Liam Cooper. His father is distraught, and wants to find the murderer of his youngest son," Mr Moore said as he stood up. He grabbed my arm and marched me from the room. Bonnie looked at me and I smiled back at her, trying to reassure her that everything will be okay. The grim reality is... no one is safe at Bramley Manor.