W A R

The rain poured onto the dirt roads as I stared from my window. This was Amegakure, after all. The rain never stopped pouring. On this particular day, the rain poured harder than I have ever seen before. I sat on my bed with my legs crossed and a bag containing my belongings sat to the left of me. We were in the middle of a war. Shinobi from my village, as well as the shinobi from Konohagakure, Iwagakure, and Sunagakure, were resolving their differences through death and destruction. 

My family was preparing to leave. My mother and father were more than ready to leave everything behind in order for us to have a bright future. From downstairs, I could hear the muffled sounds of my parents talking as they packed up our belongings. 

"Kato. Do you really think we should leave? Where should we go? I'm worried about Kaori. She's only seven. This place is all she knows. To leave this place will shatter her spirit." I heard my panicked mother say to my father. 

"Don't worry. We'll figure out where to go once we leave. We can't stay here anymore. It's not safe. We are living in a war zone. We are running out of food. Our best shot is to leave. Staying here is what will shatter Kaori's spirit. There's nothing here."

I knew my father was right. As much as I didn't want to accept it, I knew he was right. It was four days into the war. We didn't leave our house in fear that we would be slaughtered if we stepped out. From the very start, my parents had the attention to flee. The battles had moved south from where we lived. We would be heading north of the battles.

I picked up my knapsack and slung it over my shoulder. I quietly made my way downstairs to where my parents were. My mother's smiling face greeted me. I could see the worry and fear in her eyes, but she still forced a smile on her face for my sake. My father rounded the corner and wore a stern and anxious face. He was putting a brave face on for my mother and I. My father was our rock during this storm.

My mother dressed me in my raincoat, and put my knapsack on my back. She tied her long, brown hair in a ponytail, and put her own heavy bag on her back. Once both my parents were ready, my mother took my hand while my father opened the door. He took a deep breath before taking a step outside. My mother and I followed.

We traveled in silence for 2 miles until my mother broke it. "Do you have an idea of where we are going?" she asked my father.

"We're leaving the village. From there, we'll find somewhere else to stay."

We walked for another 2 miles in silence. The rain continued to pour. The silence still remained intact. From behind us, a paper bomb went off, followed by the sounds of shinobi battling. The war was moving in the same direction as we were headed. 

"We have to run." My father yelled to us from ahead. 

My mother swiftly picked me up and began sprinting as more shinobi began to appear, and paper bombs began to set off. The rain was splashing my mother's face as she ran. It prevented her from seeing, but she still pressed forward. 

There was a cave up ahead. We quickly ran toward it for shelter. My mother and father ran into the cave. My mother leaned up against the walls of the cave to catch her breath. She still was holding onto me as she was scared to let me go. My father traveled deeper into a cave. I stared at my mother's blue eyes as she watched my father walk deeper into the cave. Her eyebrows furrowed when she saw something. Her jaw dropped and she opened her mouth. "KATO! DON'T TAKE ANOTHER STEP THERE'S A TRIP WIRE!"

Startled by my mother's words, my father stumbled and fell over a thin wire. It had triggered paper bombs to go off. It was a trap. A trap set up by the shinobi. The cave began to explode from within. My mother grasped my torso and threw me out of the cave before it exploded and crumbled into pieces.