Chapter One: The Arrival

Outside of Area 51, Nevada

We left in the middle of the night, never looking back. The embers of my former home burned to ashes as Sheriff Dan Cooper held my hand as we stormed into his car. He started the ignition and drove off into the night. The sounds of sirens and flashing lights were headed towards Kilgore Lab, the burning building behind us. I held my file tightly in my hands. The vanilla envelope was marked with red ink reading CLASSIFIED. This document was the only proof of my existent. The only proof of what had happened.

Dan had not said a word throughout the entire car ride. I wondered if he was scared of me. I was. I had caused the fire back there, but I couldn't remember how. All I could remember was passing out on the lab table. Then, Dan walking me up and carrying me out of the building. I tried to think of how I could have possibly started the fire, but it all went blank. The more I thought about it the more I felt dizzy. I rubbed my head to ease the pain.

"You shouldn't have left." He sneered rubbing my cheek rather harshly.

I turn my face away from him, but he only grabbed me by my jaw back towards him. I felt scared to death as he walked to the medical table pulling out a large needle. I tried not to cry. He would only be rougher if I did.

"Why would you leave your family? We love you. Your father loves you." I wanted to yell and scream that I know he is not my real father.

"So, the silent treatment, huh?" He frowned as he picked up a small knife from the lab table and stabbed me on my sides.

I winced in pain, but I didn't say a word. The wound wasn't deep, but the pain still remained. He kept doing this. Plunging the knife deeper and deeper until finally, I let out a small yelp. He laughed and then smiled at his small victory.

"Oh, Aurora, you cannot expect not to be punished. After all, your little cop buddy was punished." He smirked.

"What did you do?!" I yelled. I tried to push up but, the chains on my hands and feet only restricted my movement.

"Only what I had to do to protect this family. To protect us. After all, you are my favorite doll." He smiled kissing my temple.

I started to cry. Not because of my pain, but at the fact that I had know caused two peoples deaths already.

"Now Aurora, you should have thought about it before you pull that little stunt. Remember when you used to be so obedient to me. Perhaps that serum is wearing off." He frowned as he pulled out another large needle and pierce my neck.

The liquid burned my neck. My body felt so hot. I kept looking up at the fluorescent light above me. I never was one to pray, but I was praying for a quick death at this point. This was the third time in my life I have wished for death. I wondered if this was going to be it.

He grabbed the knife from before and started yelling angrily. I could see the red in his skin. He kept shouting, but I couldn't hear. My ears kept ringing dulling everything around me. He grabbed the knife and plunged it deep. He pulled it out and I watched in horror as the blood spilled from my sides staining the white sheets. 

"You okay, kid?" Dan asked. It was the first words spoken in the last 2 hours of silence.

I snapped back into reality. Dan was still on the road.

"I'm fine." I lied. I rubbed my sides where he struck me. The wound was already healing, but it didn't stop the phantom pain from within. 

I grabbed Dan's jacket off the floor and wrapped it around me. Maybe, I could sleep off all the bad thoughts away.