Chapter One

Author's Note:

Hey everyone! So, this is my first time ever writing anything at all that closely resembles english :P I started this story pretty lightly, but I promise it'll get a lot more exciting ;) Any constructive criticism will be accepted with open arms, *virtual hug*

Plus I really need you guys to give me comments, they're what I live for..! Without them I won't be as inspired! ;)

Happy reading!!

I looked at the girl staring at me from the mirror. She had long, chestnut- coloured hair that reached her waist. Her wide, green eyes had specks of brown in  them, outlined by a forest of dark lashes. Her eyes had always been her best feature. Her rosy complexion was blemished by a tiny beauty spot on her left cheek. Her full, soft pink lips were curved into a frown, a thing they seemed to be doing a lot lately.

That girl is me.

My name is Vanessa Grace, and I'm 17 years old. I only have a handful of friends, two of which include Becca and Leah, my best friends. I go to Southview High, and today is the first day of school. I'll be a senior from this day onwards.

I still can't believe I survived 3 years of high school.

As I fumbled around my dresser to find my eyeliner, I sighed to myself.

I haven't been myself lately. I've been having crazy mood swings that don't end well. I get confused afterwards. I mean, it's not like I'm PMSing or anything. I've spent the whole summer at my grandparents' place, and I'm pretty sure after what they've seen of me, and after what I'd done to them (not purposefully. As I said, I've turned into a complete whack job) I'm sure they never want to see my face again. Just great.

I quickly applyied the dark eyeliner, and gave myself the once- over. Well, this is as good as it's gonna get.

As I rushed down the stairs, bag over my shoulder, I heard mom screaming at Peppers to get into the backyard. Typical.

You might be wondering about my dog's name. He was named by no other than my genius little 8- year- old sister. Even though he was supposed to be my dog, she whined and whined until she got what she wanted. Also typical.

I quickly rushed to the kitchen. I've always loved our kitchen. It was easily the biggest room in the house. As I stepped onto the shiny wooden tiles, I observed my surroundings. The airy, well- lit place had a honey- coloured counter standing in the middle of it, it's twin on the far right end of the wall. The double- sink area was on the left of the room, the large, silver fridge which we won in some god-knows-what competiton standing beside it. There was a plate of toast and chocolate spread sitting on the counter top in front of me, which I  was able to reach in 2 long strides.

Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention. I'm also tall, with long, slightly tanned legs that apparently every cheerleader was envious of. At least, that's what Leah told me.

I saw my mother coming in from the backyard, which is connected to the kitchen. She looked tired. Her wispy, light brown hair was held back in a loose ponytail. She had dark circles under her beautiful clear blue eyes, and worry lines creased her normally smooth forehead. She looked like she just ran a marathon.

"Honey.. you better get going.. or you'll be late for.. your first day.. of school," she said between ragged breaths.

"Mom, are you okay? And I'm going right after I finish my toast," I replied, waving my breakfast in the air.

"Don't do that, dear, you'll get crumbs all over the floor," she frowned. I rolled my eyes. She gave me a disapproving look. "Sorry mom," I smiled at her, stressing the mom bit. Our relationship is a bit complicated. Don't ask.

Waving her goodbye, I scurried out the door. I turned its not so shiny golden knob, and stepped out, breathing in the crispy morning air. It felt good.

Looking around, there was no sign of Becca. Guess I better get going on my own, she'll probably meet me along the way.

As I went down the long, slightly uphill street I could see a few more people from school. The street was actually relatively empty, which was weird for this time of day. I recognised Savannah from the year below me, crossing over to me with her older sister Hilary, who is in my year. I waved at them, before catching sight of the newsagent's up ahead. I needed to get today's paper. Feeling the sun on my bare legs, I fished my phone out from my backpack and started texting Leah, just as the girls reached me.

R U at school yet?

"Hey Vanessa," Savannah beamed at me, "it's such a pretty morning."

"It is," I smiled back, impatiently waiting for Leah to text me. "Are you excited for the first day of school?" I asked to no one in particular. Hilary mumbled something unintelligible, while Savannah, just as always, squealed out a 'yes'. As I spotted the newsagent's up ahead, I waved at the girls. "Well I gotta go pick up the newspaper. See you guys at school."

They smiled back and moved on to the left side of the road, disappearing down a side street that took them straight to school. I walked up to the shop, only to stop dead at my tracks.

Is that..?

My mouth dropped down all the way to China.