Homecoming Sucks

Swish!

The delicious sound of the ball making it into the basket was sweet music to my ears.

"Good job Kory! Keep it up!" Couch applauds as he assesses us critically, watching out for any mistakes we make on the court.

My team and I quickly make our way down to the other side of the court. I position myself at the top of the three-point line, squatting down into a defensive stance as Kaylynne, the point guard of the opposing team who is now in possession of the ball, jogs her way down while dribbling. We both look at each other carefully, waiting for the others next move.

"Hey, if my team wins you're going to homecoming." Kaylynne says suddenly, almost making me lose my concentration at the task at hand. Almost.

"Seriously Kay? You're still going on about this?"

Is this girl really trying to get me to go to homecoming in the middle of a scrimmage right now?

Casually dribbling, she nods, "Hell yeah I'm still going on about this. Look, I already let you pass on Homecoming freshman year but you're definitely going to be coming to this one."

Before I get the chance to reply back, Couch seemed to have gotten tired of our little chat in the middle of the court and barks at us to 'quit our chit-chatting unless we want to keep the bench warm for the other teammates in the next game'

Kaylynne and I immediately end our conversation, which hopefully isn't going to be brought up again but knowing Kaylynne this conversation was far from over.

We then get our heads in the game, we start sizing each other up as if we weren't best friends of 6 years but as opponents, enemies, and other synonyms that I can't name right now. Luckily for me though I know Kaylynne like the back of my hand, but unluckily for me the same goes for her. The battle continued, both our teams fighting to win. Not literally of course but you know what I mean.

The more we played the more time we lost. Glancing at the scoreboard, I see that we were down to 16 seconds and we were neck to neck. If we were in a movie right now, this would be the scene where everything goes in slow motion while I run down the court with the time ticking down slowly and then when I finally reach the three point line and shoot the ball, it goes through the net with the beautiful swish sound as the scoreboard loudly signals that the time was up.

But sadly this isn't the movies, it's real life. Instead of things going in slow motion, it goes twice as fast.

Coach stood beside Lucia outside the court line, ball in hand. I felt a presence creep up behind me, without a doubt it was Kaylynne. I tried to plan what my next move was. Our opponents have me and my teammates under tight defense, so figuring out a way to get past them is going to be a little difficult. The only play that could possibly give us a good chance of winning is if Jordan, my shooting guard, can set up a screen for me to dribble past Kaylynne.

God must've listened to my prayers because once the ball was passed onto Lucia, Jordan quickly came to set a screen. I immediately took advantage and clapped for the ball right when I had an open window. Lucia chest passes the ball which I catch easily. But Kaylynne must've anticipated the screen seeing as she side steps the screen and makes her ways towards me. Before she can catch up to me, I practically bolt my way down the court with Kaylynne following closely behind.

With a quick glance I see that there is only 10 seconds left. I need to come up with a play and I need to do it fast. My teammates were heavily defended by the opposite team, there's no way I can assist in hopes of atleast a three-point shot without it being a turnover. So I decide to continue sprinting in an attempt to slip past the enemy and try to successfully make a mid-range shot but of course I end up being blocked. But jokes on them, I knew that would happen and I swiftly assist the ball to the player the defender abandoned.
With 3 seconds left on the clock, she shoots.