preface || crystal

So this is our new project, it is written by two girls who for the moment will remain anonymous. We both hope you enjoy this novel and stick around for the many surprises and twists that will occur throughout this novel. The chapters in Crystal's POV will be written by me, S and the chapters in Jefferson's POV will be written by N. Hope you enjoy!

-S

-----

   The first time I laid my eyes on him, I knew my world was about to be flipped upside down. No, it wasn't because of the demeanour he had on; sly and cunning, or the way his lips curled up into a smirk when someone was talking to him. No, what made me know that I would go down fighting for this boy or with this boy, was that he made me want to drop all the good karma I had piled up from years of excellent behavior, and spend the rest of my life by his side. Whenever a good girl is questioning whether or not to become bad is when you know you're screwed.

   I might be over-exaggerating, the boy didn't even know who I was, he lived his life passing me in the hallways, I never even crossed his mind. I don't know why that made me upset, but it did, I somehow wasn't content with the fact that he didn't know me. I didn't like that he didn't know my favourite colour, or that I only ordered from one Thai place even though it was out of my way, or that I flushed my, very much alive, fish down the toilet when I was six. It seemed that life wasn't worth as much as I thought it was without him in it.

   I told myself for weeks that it was just a mindless crush, that he was just a beautiful face in a mist of absentminded ones. But even now I still search for his face when I walk down the hallways, with university on my mind, my little sisters partying issue, and what to make for dinner. My life seemed to be so much more important when I was walking past him, like it had been written by Nicholas Sparks and not some other lousy author. But as he continued down the hall, and I kept walking to my class, I knew I wasn't some character in one of Sparks's novels, but it was fun to pretend like I was for a couple of seconds.

   Just like it was fun to pretend that late at night before sleep claimed me as another one of its demons that I just happened to cross his mind, even in fragments, pieces of a puzzle he had yet to completely finished. I liked being taken as a mystery, as a girl who wasn't an open book, one you couldn't just read the summary of to know. It made me think that maybe we had a future together, that we could be something. That all my daydreaming and sleepless nights weren't for nothing.

   "Earth to Crystal," Hannah waved her hand in front of my face, her little pack of freshmans behind her. I only ever caught a glimpse of my younger sister in between classes, when she needed money for her after school plans. Our parents had stopped giving her money a while back, but I couldn't let my sister go cashless, so I gave her a little of what our parents gave me. Despite not wanting her to continue her ways, it was nice knowing she trusted me.

   "Yeah, sorry," I mumbled, grabbing two twenties out of my wallet and handing it to her. She smiled up at me and I saw my two year old sister again and not a young women.

   "Thanks," she pecked a small kiss on my cheek, which was such a fast motion I doubt any of her friends caught it, before hurrying down the hall. It was nice to know that she still valued her education, I guess some of me had rubbed off on her afterwards, in spite of herself.

   Hannah wasn't always a trouble maker, it wasn't until last year that she had found herself in comprising situations, which I was usually forced to get her out of. In my eyes, she was still so innocent, in my parents eyes not so much. It seemed like they lost hope in her, the glimmer in my mothers eyes that only use to appear when Hannah walked through the door was long gone, replaced with something similar to a grimace. I think that they think shes a lost cause. I don't think they realize that shes just trying to find herself in the choas that surrounds every teenager as they descend into high school. Adults have a funny way of not understanding anything.