Prologue

The sound of leaves are rustling and the colors of the fall season are blurring as I run. Fully focused on the stinging of the cold on my face and the burning in my muscles throughout my body. The mint-like coldness in my mouth as I inhale and exhale. My heart is pounding, it seems as if its creating its own music, maybe to entertain itself. I don't know at this point.

I push on, running at top speed. I don't look back. If I did, that'd be my second mistake. The first mistake being the fact that I chose to leave in the first place. I just needed to get away. Away from my Dad, my pack, responsibility, everything. Pain surges through my heart as I remember my Mom. All the good memories that come with being a family.

I shake my head and force myself to stop thinking of the past. Its done. It can't ever be that way again. There is no reason to linger on what could have been because it isn't even a possibility anymore. Even though I wish it could.

Yelling can be heard behind me. I don't know how far away they are but I keep running, faster now. They've come for me. Its time. I run past a small clearing in the middle of some trees. It looks as if it could've been a serene spot. Looks can be deceiving though. I start to panic as the others sound like they are getting closer to me. I try to run faster but it doesn't do much. I'm starting to tire quickly. I come across a field filled with a purple plant that smells like clean sheets. I assume its lavender.

How fitting, I think to myself as I roll my eyes at the gorgeous scene in front of my because I wish that I could just exist somewhere like this, even for a second.

My backpack bounces up and down on my back as I run through this field. I am half way across when the others come into the clearing. They start to come after me but stop themselves. I try not to wonder why they stopped because they could clearly see me.

As I turn around I breathe out, a breath that I had apparently been holding for some time now. My body starts to relax as I continue my run, at a slower pace than before.

I am reminded that even though I am not on pack territory anymore, I am still not safe.