Musical

I sit here listening to some songs- all of them under "Ultimate Playlist". Currently, This Town by Niall Horan is resonating through my headphones. The flaps are clasped over my ears, giving me a surround sound feeling. I listen to the highs and lows of his voice, the melancholy tune speaking to me on a different level.

 I understand this song. It speaks about me. In an entirely different way than one might imagine. 

 My failed romance, but the feelings still lingering. "Everything comes back to you." A truer line could not have been spoken. Everything did come back to him. He was my world. He was my everything.

 I pull the note out of my gray messenger bag. The crumpled notebook paper makes me feel a twinge of pain. I have read this note a thousand times over, each time not wanting it to be true, each time crumpling like the paper when I read those lines.

 I never loved you, Celeste. And I never will. I just hope you're happy that somebody played your game with you. 'Cause I sure am not.

 He left me for her. The girl with the gorgeous brown curls that fall down to her perfect hips. The girl with the greenest eyes and the flawless complexion. The girl with more friends than people who even knew I existed. (Although with that statement, we could be talking about anyone.) The girl who has suitors lining up and down the blocks trying to win her affections.

 I push my feelings aside and open the door in front of me. As a happier tune, My House by Flo Rida, pops on, I click off my music and let my headphones rest around my neck DJ style. I brush away the stray tears and put on my brave face. 

 Algebra 2 honors. I hate being smart. Do these people think that an artist will really care about the Pythagorean theorem? To answer the question, no. I never have, and most likely never will, care about anything to do with math. My hand itches to turn on my Ultimate Playlist as I take out my sketchbook. I flip to the drawing I was working on, something that looked like it came from Michelangelo. It was an interpretation of the painting aforementioned artist made, with God and Jesus reaching out to each other. Except there was no God or Jesus in this picture. It was me posing as Jesus and my ex as God. The cupids were painted with our friends faces. Or rather, his friends faces.

 I don't notice as my deskmate sits down. All that matters is perfecting every ragged strand of hair that adorns my head. I don't even hear the person next to me gasp as I drag my pencil across the paper. I only hear him when he speaks. 

 "That's beautiful."

 I turn to face the speaker. Perfect shade of deep brown to match mine, beautiful brown eyes which also seemed to go with my own. If you didn't know any better, you would think we were siblings.

 "It's just a rough sketch." I reply. "Nothing much to look at now." But even I can tell that I'm being overly modest.

 He's about to say something as the teacher walks in and everyone gets quiet. But it's a substitute named Mr. Keenlingop (why don't they ever have easy names?). Substitutes are good. That means no work. Plenty of time to sketch and listen to my Ultimate Playlist.

 I pull my phone out and reattach the headphone jack to my phone. I am about to put my headphones on before I hear my deskmate speak. 

 "What's your name?"

Of course, I think. He wouldn't need to ask for my name if I was Miss Perfect or even Miss Mediocre.

 "Celeste," I reply. "Celeste Vargas."

 I slip my headphones on with Welcome to the Black Parade by My Chemical Romance, but not before I catch what he responds with.

 "I'm Lovino Vargas."

A/N:

 Oh, the ending with MCR brings back some.... Interesting memories. I was asked who my favorite artist was, so I responded with My Chemical Romance. They were like, "Is that the persons name?" And I was like, "No, they're a band." And the person just smacked me and was all up in my business like, "WE ARE IN ART CLUB SO WHAT MAKES YOU THINK THAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT SOME EMO BAND NOW THERE ARE TWO EXITS PLEASE USE THEM WISELY TO EXITS THE PREMISES!!!!!!" And I was like, "Bro, chill."

 Anyway, what did you think? Any guess who the mystery chick is withe the brown curls? I love reading your comments, so make sure to include your opinion!

 Stay fresh!

 787 words