Prologue

[7:50am Sun, 2018]

(James POV)

I awoke in a moving vehicle full of loud voices and crying. The vehicle was wide and long. A faint rumbling could be heard in the background. I noted one thing that caught his mind...there were no adults, just children. Just. Crying. Children.

"Ugh, Jesus. Where the hell am I?" I questioned as I slowly started to regain my awareness.

I looked around the vehicle and was confused. All these children and no adults. Where were their parents? Why Were they there?......Why was I here?! Kids were crying and hugging and bundling together. All of them trying to be hopeful.....but why? I stood up and look towards the front of the vehicle. I identified my surroundings quickly. I was in a bus, a school bus specifically....and I was still in the city. Maybe I just passed out on my bus ride to school. That would explain the crying children...no one likes school. I chuckled at my joke and decided to look towards the back of the bus. I've never seen something more horrifying.

The city was in ruins. They're were buildings collapsing and skyscrapers falling. Entire streets were in flames. Now I understand why they were crying. The ground split and cracked at a nearby bus stop. The opened earth swallowed the last bus...and the people entering it. I never thought something like this would happen. Then again...no one does. By the time my brain processed what was happening, I started wondering about a different set of bad news. Where were my parents...I stumbled up to the bus driver who was obviously distraught and only thinking about getting away from the city.

"Excuse me, where are my parents? Sir? Where are my parents?!" I said as tears started to run down my cheeks.

"Sorry kid, anyone who isn't on the bus is probably......you know what, maybe just sit down. I'm sorry." The bus driver said with regret.

I walked back to the seat I woke up on and sat down. Tears slid down my face, but there was no crying, I don't know why I couldn't cry, I just couldn't. Maybe it was the shock, maybe I didn't care as much as I thought I did. What I did know, was this was going to be a long bus ride. I placed my headphones on and pressed play on my music app. Looked out the bus window, tears now drying, listening to Lakeshore Dr. by Aliotta Haynes Jeremiah.