For the Love of Kat

"Do you enjoy watching me suffer?" I pant, leaning over as I catch my breath. I use the back of my hand to wipe sweat off of my forehead.
"Come on, Kat, we just finished our warmup." Emerson chuckles.
"My name is Katelyn." I growl, annoyed by the nickname.
"Whatever you say, Kat." He smirks.
"Why did my dad think it was a good idea to ask you to train with me while he is out of town?" I say, standing up straight. My breath was still uneven from the ten hill sprints I just ran, but I wanted to try my best to not let it show.
"He knew I wouldn't take it easy on you."
"I'm sure there's a rule against a coach using his star quarterback to kill - I mean train his daughter." "My participation is voluntary, Kat." He replies, nonchalantly.
"Do you just enjoy watching me suffer?" I ask, genuinely intrigued as to why he is doing this favor for my dad.
"No, and my intention is not to make you suffer." He sighs, "I am only trying to help you improve your endurance."
"Pretty sure you're trying to kill me."
"Kat, I'm trying to help."
"What the heck does that even mean?"
"You are one of the best soccer players I have ever seen. Unlike most of the players on the field, you make an impression, Kat. I don't want you to lose that."
"I'm not that memorable." I argue.
"Then explain why I can't get you out of my head?" He counters.
"Wait, what?" I ask, surprised.
"You're just stalling, Kat. Let's get back to training."
"No, we are finishing this conversation. What did you mean when you said that you can't get me out of your head?"
"Gosh, Kat, you are one of the smartest kids in school," he laughs, "I would think that it would be obvious. I like you. I can't stop thinking about you, so I offered to help you train so that I could spend time with you."
"Wait, what?" I say,
"You are the most amazing girl I have ever met, and I have known it since the day I met you. I wanted to ask you out then and there, but then you told me that your dad was my coach and I freaked out," he pauses, "the only reason I am telling you now is because you deserve to know how I feel."
"And you deserve to know how I feel," I walk over to him and place a quick kiss on his lips.
"You can do it again if you want," Emerson says, a smile playing on his lips.
"Aren't we supposed to be training? Now who's stalling?" I take off running, "Catch me if you can!"
"You'll have to run faster than that, Kat." I can hear the smile in his voice, and I can't help but smile when he says my name.