》Chapter 23 ➹ the sword

《Where's Alexander? I need to exchange words with him》Magnus' voice echoed in the corridor.

        I snapped my eyes open and quickly moved Alec's arms away from me. I got up and rushed to the bathroom.

    《You're leaving already?》Alec moaned against my pillow.

    《Magnus is looking for you, you better get your ass up》I threw him the Angels book.

        He raised his head and stared at me confused. I sighed as I wore my shoes and fixed my hair.

    《Just say you wanted to take a look at the book and that's why you're here. Go get dressed》I added as I left my room and closed the door shut behind me.

    《Rachél! Have you seen Alexander?》Magnus asked, I gulped and looked at Isabelle who was jogging towards us.

    《He's somewhere, I'm sure he will show up soon》she grinned,《Didn't you two have to speak about the vision?》

    《Yes, are you somehow busy now?》Magnus asked me with a warm smile.

    《Nope, let's go》I sighed of relief and mouthed thank you to Izzy.

~

    《There was this bright sword and like, a huge battle with the Master of Hybrids. He has to die, but something unknown will happen to the one that kills him》I explained to Magnus, Mark, and Julian.

    《Do you know where the sword is?》Julian asked.

    《Sort of. It's in a church somewhere in New York. There were runes and satanic symbols and- Oh! A huge pentagram window on the ceiling》

    《We will look that up》he smiled.

~

        I walked up the staircase, passing by all the rooms. I knocked on Isabelle's door, no answer. I decided I would look for her in the training room back downstairs. But, when I reached for my room's door, I heard voices of people arguing.

        The door was half open, and I could see Isabelle lecturing Alec.

    《DO YOU EVEN REALIZE WHAT YOU DID?!》she yelled at her brother.

    《I SWEAR I DROPPED THE PLAN WHEN SHE CAME BACK!》he cried.

    《YOU THINK SHE WILL BELIEVE THAT?? YOU LITERALLY SLEPT IN HER BED ONLY TO PROVE THAT SHE ISN'T IN LOVE WITH JEV! ARE YOU BRAINLESS?!》

        Those words hit me hard like a fast train. I stood there, frozen, tears rolling down my eyes. I breathed heavily and slid down the wall until I touched the cold runed floor. My vision became blurry and slow, very slow. I spotted Mark running towards me with a worried look as he screamed my name.

        Isabelle and Alec rushed out of my room with wide eyes. She pushed her brother away and helped me back on my feet.

    《I need to breathe》I informed Mark with a faint breath.《I can't breathe

    《It's okay, I got you》he assured in a whisper, as he held my hands in his and caressed my cheek gently.

        I could hear Alec breathing heavily as well, as he kept both his arms steady against the wall. The more I looked at him, the more my heart broke. How could he be so mean?! How could he do that to me?!

    《Rachél, p-please》Alec started, his body shaking as he stood on his feet and took a step towards me.

    《SO YOU PLAYED WITH MY FEELINGS JUST TO PROVE A POINT?! HOW COULD YOU BE SO SELFISH! I THOUGHT YOU WERE DIFFERENT BUT YOU'RE JUST ANOTHER ASSHOLE!》I shouted, all of my feelings coming out in between sobs.

《It's not like that, I promise you. I SWEAR I CHANGED MY MIND WHEN YOU CAME BACK. I MADE A MISTAKE, I'M NOT- I'M NOT AN ASSHOLE, I CARE ABOUT YOU, RACH PLEASE-》

    《What is all this shouting?》Magnus asked as he reached the first floor's corridor. He raised an eyebrow and moved his eyes from me to Alec and back, both of us with tears in our eyes.

    《Why don't you ask Alec!》I snapped,《I DON'T WANT TO SEE YOUR FACE FOR THE REST OF THE DAY DON'T EVEN TRY TO LOOK FOR ME, YOU HEAR ME?!》I yelled to the tall black haired Shadowhunter, the sobs barely keeping me away from an emotional breakdown.

    《RACHÉL PLEASE! I'M MORTIFIED! I'M SO SORRY》he cried in response.

    《You know what? I DON'T CARE. Just like you didn't care about my STUPID SENSELESS FEELINGS》I blurted out,《STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM ME, LIGHTWOOD!》

        I grabbed Mark's hand and carried him away with me. Magnus stood numb, his mouth half open both in confusion and shock. He had no idea what was going on, but he knew about my feelings for his boyfriend. He took a quick glance at me, threw me a soft nod, and went after Alec.

                         ➹➹➹

        Julian and Emma had found the church where the sword was. Manhattan. Emma tried to talk to me about what happened, but I just wasn't in the mood. I weakly smiled at her and asked her if she wanted to accompany me on the mission.

        I also had to assure Isabelle billions of times that I didn't hate her at all. On the contrary! I loved her. So much. So I asked her to be in my team for the mission, which she was very happy about.

    《So, we'll split in two》Julian started,《The girls will mind the perimeter inside, while Mark and I will mind the perimeter outside》

    《Okay》Emma smiled,《Then we meet up?》

    《Rachél and I will go take the sword》Mark informed.

    《I'll drive》Julian smiled.

~

        The abandoned church was so old it was literally falling apart. We grabbed our weapons from Julian's van and followed the plan.

        Emma, Izzy, and I entered the building carefully and quietly. We took short soundless steps and looked in every corner.

    《Clean》Isabelle nodded in a whisper.

        Mark and I explored the hidden basement. The sword was shining brightly on a marble surface.《It's too easy》I whispered.

    《Yeah》Mark looked around as he slowly stepped towards the sword and tried to pick it up.

    《What's wrong?》I whispered.

    《It won't move!》he madly argued with the weapon, pushing and pulling with all his strength.

    《Let me try》I suggested, he threw me a really?! expression.

        At the exact moment I grabbed the sword, a rush of adrenaline spread into every remote part of my body. I felt stronger, invincible.

    《Right, your blood》Mark scoffed with a smile.

    《Tell them to be ready. We're not alone》I whispered.