Chapter one: Called

Kira's pov

"Kira, you ready for the village rally?", My young sister Eve asked.

I laughed "No, I can't go, I have to take care of Baby Mara", I said while carrying Mara on my back and doing the dishes.

"C'mon Kira they only call the village once a year to get new warriors, and who knows your name may get called", Eve said jumping.

"Even if they do call my name, I probably won't go because who'll take care of you and Mara",I asked while drying the dishes with a torn and tattered rag.

"Corbyn can do it, he's nineteen"Eve Shouted. "And also by law of the Northmoon Village you can't defy if you get called by the Callers", Eve said.

"Eve, enough I've heard everything from you, but I just can't leave our family, especially because who will support us", I asked getting heated.

"Corbyn!", Eve said.

"Gosh I can't believe I'm fighting with a twelve year old", I muttered under my breath.

"Corbyn can't do everything, he will also need help", I said while putting the dishes away in the cupboard.

"That's why, he has me", Eve I said pointing at herself.

"You have school", I said taking Mara off of my back.

Eve took a sigh, and that's when I knew I won the argument.

The front door squeaked, and in walked Corbyn with his Dark chocolate brown hair smoothed to the side and flakes of snow covering his hair. Blue eyes sparkled as he walked in and his cheeks rosy from the cold.

"Hey girls", Corbyn said as he shook the snow off of his boots

"Corbyn" Eve yelled as she went up and jumped on him.

"Hey, how's my sister doing", he asked as he twirled her.

"Calm down", I said putting Mara in her crib near the chimney to keep her warm.

"Kira you going to the village rally", Corbyn asked.

"No, I can't I have a family to take care of", I said.

Corbyn scoffed "Am I not good enough"

"No I never said that", I said sighing.

"Look, we all no I can't go", Corbyn said taking out his inhaler.

I sighed, In order to be with the Callers you basically almost have to be perfect no medical conditions no nothing, my heart ached as my brother had severe asthma, and as a Caller training would be hardcore with punching, hitting, and running. He does have powers and that is strength, he can lift almost anything, except houses which is a law and other private owned things, plus animals unless you need to. My sister obviously too young but she possesses healing powers, which is pretty cool. And I do too, but..... I don't want to talk about it. My siblings are the only ones who know what power I possess, and they think that as a Caller I would be useful and a very very needed person with the Callers. But I'm afraid of what will happen once they know what type of Gift I have people will be afraid of me. 

"Kira I strongly suggest you go" Corbyn gently said as he put Eve down.

"Corbyn, No I'm not going", I said.

"Please Kira, just once they may not even call you", Eve said.

I looked at her ocean eyes and Corbyn's sky blue ones, then at Mara and her cute baby face. I gave out a defeated sigh.

"Once, just this once"I said putting my pointer finger up.

Eve cheered with delight and Corbyn gave me a gentle smile.

I've never told Eve and Corbyn why I don't want to join the Callers, they've never even seen my power but I told them about it and they thought it was the most amazing thing ever. I so surprised to hear them and their excited voices about my power. But me I thought I was a monster,a creature , something that never should've even been made. But here I am standing in the middle of my house living, breathing, and talking. I'm so afraid of my power, I don't even think I can control it. 

"Here, hurry hurry the Rally will start soon", Eve said harshly handing me my shawl and boots.

I smiled and took them slowly slipping them on.

"Good Luck Big sis", Eve yelled as I went out.

I laughed "Please I probably won't even get called", I yelled back.

Corbyn waved as he held onto Mara.

I walked slowly to the village square. The more people I saw the more by heart beat quickened, my breath slowed down and it seemed as if the world just got a little slower. I walked a little fast this time squeezing my way to the middle to stay warm from the cold. I slowly took in a puff of air as the leader of our village, Leader Wren Garver walked to the very front of the podium. My heart beat quickened again.

"People of NorthMoon Village, We are gathered here today to find new Warriors, A new generation of Callers. Children, Adults, and Young adults. Please welcome General Harvey Luvrend", Leader Garver yelled.

Claps, cheers, and yells, were heard all over. Than a person with a armor and a helmet walked to the front of the podium. The cheers died down and the square became silent again, except for people who were shuffling from side to side because of the cold.

The person took of their helmet and woman who's skin was as pale as snow and hair as red as fire appeared. 

"Hello people of NorthMoon Village, I am here to announce our new Generation of Callers, The most powerful and lucky ones of them all will join us and fight against the evil we are facing now", She yelled.

When she spoke it was like sandpaper scratching a brick wall. 

People were silent as the mayor handed her a scroll filled with only 8 names.

My heart quickened as she unraveled it.

General Harvey cleared her throat "Mavis Emma Lorens, Reed Davis Jackwell. Cries were heard and cheers. Owen Gregori Hansen, Kate Thelma Ryans, Hamsa Wels Tarpel, Yasmin Quinn Young, Vinnie Opal Waven, and Kira Margaret Casca. Those eight who have been called, say your goodbyes tonight and meet me here at noon at the villages square" And off she walked.

I heard crying, cheering, and clapping as I ran and squeezed through the the crowd. I felt lightheaded and I thought I was about to faint. I was short of breath and my heart beat was faster than ever. I ran home and practically fell through the door. I fell on the ground.

"Kira!", Corbyn yelled as he ran to my aid.

"What happened", He asked as he helped me up.

I opened my mouth but no words fell out.

"Kira?" ,Eve questioned as she put Mara down in her crib.

I looked at her, and my heart welled with sadness.

Fnally words fell.

"I was picked", I said.

The house was silent and suddenly it was filled with cheers. 

Eve ran over to hug me and I almost got tackled down, Corbyn hugged me and kissed my cheek. They may be happy.

But I just lived through my worst nightmare.