TKB Movie Contest

I had met Dylan Montgomery when I first moved to the small town of Gideon. He was smart, caring, kind, and overall he was understanding. I liked him. Though I had never been in love before, nor had I ever even liked a guy previous to him, I was sure I loved him.

I was hopelessly in love with Dylan Montgomery.

And I never got the chance to tell him. So in a few short words this is my story of what could have been. What almost became something more.

I, Abigail Batton, had finally worked up the nerve to confess my feelings to the one and only guy I had ever taken a liking to.

There he was, sitting in the library studying. His black hair was getting too long so it covered his dark brown eyes when he looked up, noticing that I was standing at the end of the table. A smile that took my breath away was genuinely placed on his face as he moved things over so I could sit next to him.

"Hey, D, can we talk?" I whispered since it was technically study hall. His dark hand grabbed mine, showing a complete contrast to my ever so slightly tanned skin. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest. My heart wanted to leap out or stop all together. I can do this.

"Yeah, I have some news. I asked Sadie to the dance next weekend." My heart felt like it came to a sudden halt. I felt cold, I felt hurt. Of course he asked Sadie. I knew that he liked her, why would I want to ruin that? Sadie was a nice girl.

I swallowed the lump in my throat and nodded. My blonde hair fell in front of my face as I looked down at his open book on the table. His hand left mine for a moment so I moved my hand under my hair to wipe the sudden tears that escaped. I glanced up and seen that his smile had left his face.

"That's... That's good. Great. I'm happy for you. Listen, I should... I should go." When I stood up the chair scraped along the wood floor. I wiped the tears that continued to fall as I rushed out. I had to get out.

A hand grabbed my shoulder so I stopped. The familiar warmth of Dylan seeped through my shirt. I yanked my shoulder free from his grip as I continued down the hall.

I wish I had stopped to talk everything through. But I was hurt and stupid, acting too irrationally. I wish I told him regardless. I wish I had been a bigger person.

So now, at the spring fling watching them dance my heart ached. But I would try to support Dylan. Try to be happy.

Because he was my best friend.

Because I loved him.