Too Late for Change

A/N: Hi Wattpadland! This is my second-first story (the last one kinda sucked to me) and I actually have a plan for this. I know most people won't, but leave comments to tell me what you think!

As I sprayed the final letter of my masterpiece on the back of the library building, I heard the sirens approaching. I quickly shoved my blue, pink and purple cans into my black Jansport backpack and slung it over my shoulder swiftly. The sirens were getting closer, so I had about two and a half minutes to get out of there, fast. I broke into a sprint, ducked around to the front of the gigantic library and went in.

“May I help you?” the security guard at the front entrance asked.

I sized him up. He was about 6’4 and had an extremely low buzz-cut. He had slanted eyes and thin lips, and seemed to be Asian. His eyes were extremely dark, and I could tell he didn’t smile often. That makes you and me both. His face was wrinkled in a few places, he must have been in his forties, maybe fifties. I made my way down to his body, and I wasn’t surprised to see that he was ripped. And not just your regular muscles here, a little fat here. No, he was rock hard. His biceps were so big, I thought they would tear the shirt that instant.  In a way, I though he looked like Emily’s dad on Pretty Little Liars. Of course, he had a scowl on to match the scary look.

“Restroom.” I said to match his arrogance.  

“Make it quick, we’re closing in four minutes.” He said in an irritated tone.

I said my not-so-thankful thanks and quickly went to the restroom door. I turned back to see that the police had come into the building and were quietly talking to the security guard. I saw them explaining the look of someone and took this opportunity to hide around the corner.

“Yea, she just came in and said she had to use the restroom…” The security guards expression became even angrier, if that was even possible. I quickly turned around and made a bee-line for the back exit.

“Hey! HEY! COME BACK HERE!!!” I slipped outside and stood behind a pillar as the officers ran past me. Classic move. I turned around and came face first with an extremely hard chest.

“Gotcha Missy.”

Shit.

~

As I sat in the police station, I heard an extremely aggravated and grumpy voice say, “Jade Leneaux.”

That’s my cue. As I stood and pivoted on my toes, I plastered on a fake smile and said, “Okay, mom, what had happened was that--” I was cut off before I could break my ten word record of speaking before she cut me off in bad situations.  

“Let’s not play this game tonight Jade,” my mother said, with absolutely no emotion. “Go.”

As we made our way out of the police station and down the marble stairs (yeah- our city was just that fancy), I could see the disappointment in my mother’s eyes. Lately, that’s all I could see in her.

I won’t lie, my mother was drop-dead gorgeous. She was biracial, so she had light skin and extremely long, curly hair that did exactly what she wanted it to. Today, it was thrown up into a messy bun, her usual look. Her eyes were hazel, and big at that matter. They could go as deep as the ocean, but today, I couldn’t see past surface level. She had a small nose, but average sized lips. Her ears were pierced in three places; one at the bottom and two at the top. She was wearing a while V-neck and khaki cargo capris, with black Vans. There were a few paint stains here and there on her shirt, but I bypassed them because she never came home clean.

“I saw the library on my way home. I figured it was you. I got my confirmation when the police called me and told me you had just defaced a public building,” said my mom. We opened the door to her Audi and slumped in. “Jade. I don’t know what to do anymore. I get that you have this while bad girl front so you can get away from reality. Pretending that you don’t care anymore, because caring too much isn’t good. I know. But cut me some slack here.”

My eyes softened at her words for half a second, then went rock hard again. “It’s not a front, Mom. Since you don’t want to be here for me when I’m going through a tough time, I have to be here for myself. If it means doing what I want and not caring who sees, then that’s what it’ll be.” I countered.

I regretted the words as soon as they came out of my mouth. It was all a lie.

“Okay, Jade, he was your brother. I know. But, he was MY SON. I’m sorry if I couldn’t comfort you the way you needed when they told us, but I was too busy trying to comfort myself.” As she said these words, the words I knew were true but refused to acknowledge, I felt a pang of guilt. No parent wants to see their kid die before them.

“Mom…” I started.

“Just don’t. I don’t need to hear your voice tonight.”

I wasn’t shocked. I didn’t take it personal, either. My mom shut herself out when Tyler died. She would spend hours, days in her art room, drawing countless pictures of him. I guess she couldn’t get it just right, which frustrated her. She’s been at this for 7 months. Luckily, I wasn’t that unlucky, and my dad stuck around this whole time. The whipped cream on top was that he actually loved my mom and I.

“Does I’m sorry count?” I asked. My mom was the only one who could make me let my guard down, regardless of the situation.

She let out a long sigh as she leaned over and kissed my forehead. “It’s okay, baby girl. It’s fine.”

We drove the rest of the way home in a comfortable silence. When we pulled up to our house, I saw the light in the kitchen on. Oh, Father…

“What he doesn’t know won’t kill him, Jade.”

I smiled at my mom and gave her a thank you nod.

“Luke, we’re home.” My mother called through the house. My house wasn’t all that. Well, scratch that, it was all that. I lived in a modern contemporary home that consisted of our house, our backyard swimming pool and a mini-park a little off into the woods. The entire back wall of our house was a two way mirror, where we could look at the scenery without the scenery looking back at us. Whenever people used to come over, they would say, “Wow, your house is so big, you must never get bored!” In reality, without Tyler, everything was half as fun.

“I’m in the kitchen, sweetheart. Is Jade with you?” My dad responded.

“Yes, look decent.” My mom said with a blush coming up to her cheeks. The perks of being a light skin.

“Shit.” I heard scrambling coming from the kitchen, which made me want to know what my dad was hiding. As we turned the corner I could see him pulling up his pants and buckling his belt. Of course, being as slow as he was, he was still shirtless. Despite the fact that he was well built with a 6-pack that was a bit too prominent for my liking, he was still my dad.

“Daddy, come on now, your honey moon was 17 years ago…” I exclaimed, shielding my eyes. This also happened to by my age. Surprise, surprise. My parents would always have a soft spot in my heart. It’s the rest of the world that was unlucky.

“It doesn’t feel that way,” he said, giving my mom a small wink.

“I think I’ll skip dinner…” I said hesitantly.

“Great! That means me and your mom can get right to dessert…” he said, making his way over to my mom.

“Do me a favor and get a room.”

“Will do,” he said with a smirk.