Self Reflection

Let’s just say you’re going to live until 100 years old. Congratulations, that’s a long life!

On your 99th birthday, your foot is amputated because you stepped on a chainsaw. Terrible, I know. But what if, in your 100-year-long life, your foot was amputated at the age of 25? There’s a big difference between living 75 years without a foot and living one year without a foot.

Within that stupid example is today’s topic, which is that the decisions you make now will ripple for the rest of your life.

This is your time. To believe. To trust. To laugh. To be proud. To love. To be well. To feel.

Remember that your path is one of strength flowing through your veins, from your head to your toes. Your strength shows in your movement, your breath, your actions and your words. Use this strength everyday. Nurture it. Be kind to it. Love it. Trust that you can lean on it when you need to and believe in it as the foundation for what makes you you.

The path will not always be easy. Or linear. There will be tears. Fear. Disappointment and maybe even heartache. You will need others along the way – even if you think you can go it alone. Say “Yes.” Say “Thank you.” Do not rush through these feelings. Acknowledge them. Learn from them. Appreciate that your journey is meant to be curvy.

You are a mom. A wife. A daughter. A sister. An aunt. A niece. A survivor. A writer. A teacher. A coach. A strategist. A runner. A hiker. A yogini. None of these individually have the power to define you, but each are a part of you. Treat each role with the respect it deserves but without preference or bias.

Listen to your heart beat. Remember the feeling and be kind to yourself. For every sharp turn in the path, there is a reason. Listen. Do no judge. Breathe. Feel. Allow yourself to just “be.” Honor your inner strength even when you feel weak.

Follow your dreams because will guide you. Follow your heart because it will protect you. Follow your breath because it knows the way.