Cherry Blossom

Nine hours. Nine full, dragging hours of sitting at a deserted picnic table, clumsily writing a note; just one note. My index and ring finger resting on my temples, I slouched over the crumpled piece of notebook paper I had grabbed from my math notebook early on. Even so, my right hand didn't seem to want to move; I bit my lip hard, to the point of bleeding. Writing was not a specialty of mine; in fact, neither was talking, and for those reason, I had gone to the courtyard to write in private; it was April, and school was ending earlier in the year than usual-- even for me. I was sitting at a picnic table, right underneath a Cherry Blossom Tree, and woven within each flower and leaf was a rich, warm yellow light from the sun. Such sunlight covered my face, even with the shade, hitting me with warmth that pulled away at times with the wind. There were no words on my paper quite yet, but so many had flooded my mind. Suddenly, out of the blue, I felt a slight tap to the shoulder; I turned around sharply, startled, then froze when I saw who stared back at me.. it was her. Her straight red hair was pulled back in a tight bun, eyes a midnight blue. Unlike usual, she was detached from her bubbly friends and unlikely lovers; she was actually alone for once, but why with... me? In utter shock, I managed to choke out the words "You can sit if you want, I'll go." But instead she shook her head, and plopped down right beside me. The sunlight managed to cover us both, dwindling in thin air, lighting up the Cherry Blossoms vibrant color with a single touch. "Why do you sit here alone?" She asked me, quietly, gently. Without question, I shoved the failed love letters in my backpack, pushing it off the picnic table, in hopes of hiding the evidence. "I just need time, to... think," I muttered. She said nothing, but instead plucked a Cherry Blossom from the overhang of the beautiful tree. Carefully rubbing the stem in between her fingers, she calmly said, "But it seems that you push everyone away, even though they try to welcome you to others. Why is this?" Isn't it obvious? "Such beauty in the world around us doesn't exist." With these words, I put her attention towards me again. Her eyes met mine again, and with her glare came the deafening words, "There is a much greater beauty that can be found in the world, and with it comes a long journey of passing friends and new friends." Her eyes sparkled when she talked, that glare proving to be the passion running in her veins. "Is that why those people aren't with you?" She nodded wearily. I plucked the blossom from her hand, sliding it gently in her hair, to the front of her head. "I'll journey with you." She smiled. I did too.