Part I

"We just need to get you out there, Elaine!" My know-it-all agent told me.

"Why can't I just keep playing in the city band for a while? I really love it." I told him.

"Elaine, if you want to ever get beyond playing with that band, you have to start now!" He babbled.

"Tony! I'm only 19, can't I just enjoy the days of my youth while they last? You already pulled me out of school!" I grumbled.

"Do you want to be considered the next Bach? Or do you want to go on being your mother's mini-me?" Tony said.

"Ughh, fine. You win. But Tony, make it decent music, jazz or something?" I pleaded.

"We will see. I want what will give you the best experience and rep." Tony said, as he walked out of my living room.

I knew there was no way Tony was going to listen to me. He was going to get me a job working with some idiotic group who don't know the true meaning of music. My talent, my passion, is playing music, and it's what I want to do forever, but not that pop crap that people think is so amazing. I mean real music, Bach, Beethoven, Benny Goodman, all the people who have made my life somewhat bearable.

The next few days went on without any word from Tony as to what group I'd be playing with. I hoped that this meant that I could stay longer in my hometown. I didn't have a boyfriend, or friends my own age, but I had made a kind-of-friendship with the people in the city band. They all loved the same kind of music as I did, and some of them had made their whole lives work from it.

My lucky streak ended when I got a text from Tony.

"Got you a group." was all it said.

I called Tony after that.

"Hello, Tony Castiello speaking." He answered.

"Tony. It's me. What group did you find me?" I asked, eagerly.

"One Direction." He said.

"One what?" I asked.

"One Direction. A up-and-coming boy-band from the U.K." He said.

"BOY-BAND? Like pop music?" I groaned.

"Yes, Elaine. This will be a good experience for you." Tony said.

"Oh great. When do I start?" I asked.

"We are flying to L.A. tomorrow morning. Go to bed early. I'll pick you up around 3 a.m." He said.

"That's just dandy." I said, hanging up.

My parents hired Tony a year ago, and had rented an apartment for me in L.A. for whenever I actually got hired. And this would be my first time actually staying there. I was actually a little bit nervous. What if I got stuck playing some cruddy instrument, like harmonica or something? Please let them need a saxophonist. Please, God, please!

I went to bed early that night, and woke up at 2:30 just in time for Tony to arrive. He's always early. We got into the limo and drove to the Milwaukee airport and got on our flight.

On the plane, Tony briefed me on the people I'd be working with.

"Niall Horan, Liam Payne, Harry Styles, Zayn Malik and Louis Tomlinson." Tony informed me.

"Okay. I'll try and remember their names." I said.

When we finally landed, Tony and I got into the limo and were driven off to my apartment. When we were inside, I asked him, "When do I meet them?"