The Scar that Hides

And He Was Gone

Tsuna didn't know when his scar had gotten this ugly.

It had started out relatively tiny-- as a simple mere cut. A memento of his father's neverending absence and the harsh taunts of his other classmates.

Yet as time passed, the cut had never healed, instead growing larger and larger as the mocking of his classmates increased.

"Oh look, it's Dame-Tsuna!"

"Geez, what a failure..."

"Imagine how sad his mother is, giving birth to such an useless child!"

"I heard Dame-Tsuna's father is never home, I bet he just doesn't want to see his stupid face!"

Each cruel word clung onto him, breaking more and more of his gentle soul. Soon, only a mangled and ugly wound remained, continuing to hurt and sting him with each passing day.

It was only when god's help came in the form of an infant, did Tsuna's wound begin to heal and close.

And yet, the scar never went away. It always lingered, threatening his happiness and continueing to feed on his many insecurities.

Perhaps that was the cause of his lack of change. His friends slowly grew more confident, more self-assured. But Tsuna retained his timid nature, flinching at every loud sound and shrieking at every scary thing.

He never could let it all go, the sting in his chest wouldn't allow him.

Maybe that's why they all got tired of me.

He never did allow himself some time to forgive his weaknesses.

---

"G-Gokudera-kun, would you l-like to-" "Ah, gomen, Jyuudaime. I have club activities today. As such, I will be unable to walk you home today."

Gokudera's tone was formal, lacking the usual conviction he usually had. Well, Tsuna hadn't heard the said 'conviction' in a long time anyways.

"A-Ah, I see... Then...It's o-okay." Nodding slightly, the brunet forced an assuring smile with practiced ease and hid his clenched fists behind his back, shaking slightly.

The silveret, once known as his observant best friend, didn't notice a thing. He never did anymore lately.

Tsuna only allowed the pitiful smile to slid off once his guardian gave a painfully formal smile, before strolling in the direction of newly-formed, UMA club room.

The boy turned to his Rain guardian next.

Surely he will see through that smile of mi-

"Ah, sorry Tsuna! Haha, I have baseball practice too! You don't...mind, right?"

Nodding dumbly, he could only smile pathetically as the older boy gave him a hard pat on the back before running off with a simple, "Thanks, Tsuna!"

Tsuna was tempted to call out to him and beg him to come back. The loneliness was killing him, the ache in his chest amplifying the pain.

Don't be selfish.

There's nothing wrong with you, stop being an attention-seeker.

Of course there was nothing wrong.

His friends just needed some time alone. He needed to stop being clingy. After all, he had already dealt with years of this... loneliness, surely he could deal with just another week more of it? It wasn't as though they were leaving forever, they just needed a break.