Chapter 1: The Mysterious Boy

It was after my final exam. I was going to confess to him but when I found him, it was already too late. All I did was watch that other girl confessed and his accepted. Just like that my first love ended. 

The next day, after school, the two of them announced to the class that they are going out. My friends and classmates rushed forward to congratulate them. I remained seated at my desk and my hands went up, covering my face. What should I do? My tears won't stop coming out.

"Riko, do you wanna come with us to McD? We are celebrating their get together", his friends asked me. I flinched. I quickly put my head down on the table pretending to sleep, hiding my face from them. My tears were still falling. I didn't want anyone to see me like that.

"Riko, what's wrong?" My friend Ayano called and I felt her coming towards my seat.
No! I panicked.
Just then, someone moved towards my desk. What? Who?
"It looks like she was tired from the test yesterday and is resting at the moment".
A boy's voice said.
"Oh, is she napping?" Ayano asked him.
"Yes, can you not wake her?" The boy answered.
"Okay, tell her to come by later when she wakes up. We'll be at McD until 6PM." Ayano said and went away.

Phew. After I felt the others went away, I looked up and saw his back. He was standing there quietly, facing ahead. Who is that boy? He must have helped me so that they wouldn't notice my tears. I put my head back down on my desk and continued crying silently.
After a while, I lifted my head from the desk and wiped my tears off my face. I was feeling much better now after crying.
But, when I turned to my right, I was shocked. I muttered, "Eh? He's still there?!"

At the sound of my voice, he turned and for a moment, our eyes met. But before I could see his face clearly, he quickly turn away and started walking out of the class.
"Umm, wait!!" I called out. I couldn't let him leave like that. He paused at the door. Still facing ahead, he said "Be careful on your way back."
"Ah, thank you very much" I stumbled out my thanks while he remained still at the doorway. He waved his left hand acknowledging my thanks and then walked on.
Ah, he's gone. I remained there for a while before I recalled the meeting at McD. I quickly packed my things and left the class. At McD, I joked and laughed with the rest of my friends and I even managed to congratulated the couple with a smile on my face. I eventually went back home at 6PM that day.

After dinner, I bathed and lied down on my bed. My face had stopped smiling. After smiling so much earlier, I became exhausted. I was still feeling the pain of the heartbreak. I reflected on this afternoon incident and recalled how that boy had silently stood there after shielding me from the others. Who is he? I wondered. I had only glimpsed his face for a moment.
Strangely enough, compared to the night before, my aching heart felt slightly better. Surely it must be because he was there. He had stayed by my side, supporting me in silent. I managed to sleep soundly that night.