Nothing Gold Can Stay

It's been five months.

Every morning for the past five months I would wake up in hope that Regina was still alive, confused and lonely, waiting for someone to find her and bring her home. Every night for the past five months I would fall asleep, full of guilt, knowing that she's out there, alone and cold whereas I was tucked securely in bed. Everyday I had mustered up the courage to walk into school with a smile on my face- even though everyone could see the sorrow built up in my eyes.

And now here I am, in the middle of the cemetery, in honours of my best friend- Regina Louise Goode.

I don't want to believe that this happened. It hasn't drawn on me yet that Regina- My best friend- the one that I had dreams of growing old together, has floated to the heavens above.

But as soon as I saw the black tomb lowering itself into a hole, that's when it hit me. That's when I realised that she has gone and is never to return.

Nothing Gold Can Stay.

A single tear had escaped my red rimmed eyes and flowed down my cheek, cassading down my face and dropping off my chin. I wasn't crying because Regina had died, I was crying because of the fact that she had broken my promise. She swore to me that she would never leave me, never make me feel alone and that we would always be together- and I intend to make that happen.

I put my hands into the pocket on the inside of my black coat. The cold texture sending shivers down my spine. I pulled out the shiny black piece of metal and placed it on my chest, right above the place where my heart would be. All of the happy memories we made together flashed through my mind. The last thought that dawned on me was the fact that I never told her I loved her back.

I could hear my heart racing- the last time it could beat before I heard a loud noise and everything turned dark.

Please comment and vote on what you  thought about it?x