Chapter 1

Today I overheard we were supposed to get a new patient. I need to make something like a friend here. I'm not even supposed to be here. I'm not crazy.

I know by saying "I'm not crazy" makes you sound even more crazy but I'm not. I'm different than everyone else.

People here like to stay to themselves. I'm the only one that will try and make some conversation with people. It never works because I'm not even sure if they can talk. I always end up talking to Andrea, one of the guards here who I guess I can consider a friend? Well not really. She doesn't seem to have any interest in me.

Here, the only guard you're really allowed to talk to is your own, but when you need something. That's not happening. My guard is a 35 year old man named Jack. I absolutely hate him. He yells at me and is just so demanding. Every night I get pushed into my cell, and I have countless bruises from it.

Oh yeah, that's another thing I hate about this place. They treat us like we're in prison.

"Erin." I hear the guard call my name. I just look up at him. "Let's go. It's time for lunch." He demands. I don't wanna listen to him. Why should I be taking orders from anyone? "I'm not hungry." I whisper. "Get up now." He says sternly. "I said I wasn't hungry!" I scream.

He quickly opens up my cell and takes me by my wrists, pulling me into the cafeteria. He opens the doors and let's me go. I find the nearest table and pull out a chair. I start to examine my wrists taking a finger and going over the red marks he left me.

I get up and go to get some food. I only eat when they have somewhat decent food. I think they have soup today? I go up to the counter and grab the warm bowl and a spoon.

I keep my head down and start eating my soup.

"Hi." I hear someone say next to me. I jump, causing the bowl to fall and break. "What the hell?" I say in frustration. "Sorry," He mumbles. I look up to find a boy. Well, young man.

Dark brown hair, chocolate brown eyes, and plump lips.

"It's okay." I tell him. I get up and start to clean up the broken pieces of the bowl. They should really make these plastic.

"Here let me help." He says while taking the broken parts into his hands. "Be carful. They're sharp." I whisper. He just let's out a deep chuckle.

We both get up and throw the pieces in the garbage. "So what's your name?" He asks me. "Erin." I say. "I'm Cameron. I'm guessing you're not quite the talker?" He asks. "No. Being here for nine years around people that don't talk at all makes it kind of hard to just start a conversation." I raise my voice at him. Every word I said was true. I mean, he is also a total stranger so it'll take time to be able to just tell him things.

"I'm sorry I didn't know." He says in a sorrowful tone. Crap now I feel bad for yelling at him.

"So how old are you?" He asks me. "Damn, you don't stop asking questions do you?" I laugh. This is probably the first time I've laughed for a while. "Well?" He says impatiently.

"18. You?" I ask. "19."

"So why are you here?" He asks me.

"You can save that for when I trust you. Why are you here?" I ask him. I don't even know if I'll get an answer. Well at least I don't expect one.

"You're not on that level of friendship yet." He teases me.

"Wait what? We're friends?" I'm surprised. I haven't had a friend in a while.

"Of course! why wouldn't we be?"

Whoops. Terrible way to start a story I know... my bad. Sorry if it sucked. I'll try my hardest to update whenever I can and yeah. Thank you guys so much! Byeee!