00

XXXXXX

MODUS OPERANDI

My lungs seem to close up, I almost hyperventilate

Surrounded by friends, the large room feels smaller, the breaths closer than they actually are. Hell, I needed to get out of here. The words spill out of my lips. "Ughh— In one weeks time I'm leaving this place and going somewhere better." I sigh, rubbing my forehead.

A laugh bubbles out of the person next to me. Me, I feel out of here already, I half heartedly give a slow smile. "Where would you go anyway?" Passing me a smoke with a pierced brow raised.

 "Where would you go anyway?" Passing me a smoke with a pierced brow raised

"Don't know, somewhere far away from here. I've always liked road trips. You-you could come." I said seriously, sniffing. His gaze is somewhere else, his red rimmed eyes watering, and his back all tensed up, the valleys of flesh apparent against the soft material of the t-shirt.

 His gaze is somewhere else, his red rimmed eyes watering, and his back all tensed up, the valleys of flesh apparent against the soft material of the t-shirt

My cheeks flush when he turns to me, his gaze fierce and fiery. Damn, feels like a pistol is aimed at me. "Alright, let's do it now then." He says.

Looking at me, he lets his arm rest on my waist. Gently squeezing it, he awaits my reaction.

Excitement fills me, and I look up to deep never-ending, sigh-worthy, eyes. I breathe out a , "alright."

——

My heart thuds painfully in my heart, a constant reminder of what I was leaving behind.

An exaggerated beep brings me back, and the man behind the wheel has a shit-eating grin is on his face. I squint at the overly bright headlights.

 I squint at the overly bright headlights

I step towards the red car. Adjusting my backpack, I take a deep breath.

Jumping in, locking my seat belt, I turn to him. "Let's do this." I grin. "Hell yeah!" He shouts shaking his head. I watch him, this is only just the start.

We leave the driveway of the, go through the gardens, and pass by the guard. "Does your father know your leaving?" He thunders, his steely gaze set on me. I resist the urge to shout that he isn't my father. I nod as an answer.

"Should I call him?" He asks. No, I think in panic. I could only imagine him now, red-faced and screaming so loudly the neighbors peek from their windows. He would see red, knowing I had left with the man sitting next to me.

"Why do you need to call him? Mr. Grey is taking me to an appointenment. Don't prolong this Max. It isn't your job to know where I come and go. That's my fathers." Harsh, I know. But the batshit crazy man in front of me was too inquisitive, and a little too curious for his own good. While he worked for my father, he made it his job to know he wasn't above making it much harder for us to leave.

"Could you open the gate now?" I ask patiently. He goes to open it. Turning forwards, I clench my jaw. A warm, rough hand, touches mine.

"Bastard, too good at his job it seems." He grunts out, and I nod. My tongue touching the inside of my cheek. Soon, I'll be on the road and forget all about this place.

Glad for his company, I smile and turn to give Russ a side-hug. A silly smile graces his face, I ignore it. Inhaling the scent of cigarettes and a clean, soapy and masculine perfume. I could get used to this.

"We should pass by my house, I need to get some stuff before we hit the road."  He mutters as he looks for something in his car.

"Yeah, okay. I don't mind, just don't take too long. I can't wait to hit the road." I answer coolly . I reach over for the lighter in the sidepocket. I grab his scruffy and sharp jaws, his breath close to my own. My stomachs flutters, as I light up the cigarette dangling from his lips.

He drags it out, and his voice comes out scratchy, "Yeah."

Clearing his throat, he turns away. Excited, we both watch as the black steel gates finally open.

—-

We reach his house after a long twenty minutes of driving. He gets out to grab his stuff. I reach for the handle of my door, and get out. After stretching, I turn to look at him. He raises an inquisitive brow. "Relax, I'm only going to the supermarket close by." I spit out.

"Okay, just don't forget your phone. I'll let you know once I'm done. You know I can't handle you leaving me for too long," he bumps his shoulder into mine playfully.

Of course, I roll my eyes. "Looks like someone's got separation anxiety." I say jokingly.

"Just go! Go-go" he says with a smile I can't help but admire

"Just go! Go-go" he says with a smile I can't help but admire. So, I turn and walk to the place with a lit up sign that says 'Dolly's' , which sounds more like a stripper joint or a bar than a supermarket.

Before I walk in, I spot a girl, her hair getting caressed by the wind as her eyes go wide while Russ spins her around in his arms. Who the phuck is she? No, I can't be jealous. My gaze doesn't falter as I watch them go in to the house. Standing there, I feel people stepping past me. Clenching my jaw, I walk in.