☁When I am free☁

The smell of metal and rot hung in the air as the loud sounds of gunshots echoed through the field. I woke up somewhere I didn't know. It wasn't my cage though, but I knew I was free. At least for a few moments. At least.

My name, marked on the iron dog tags that hung on the chain around my neck, is 19B. I'm a German Shepard from a puppy mill. I couldn't see 23B, a blue eyed male doberman I've known since I was a wee pup.

My black and brown fur, matted around my back, was bloodied from the puddle of someone's blood I was laying in. The blood left a short trail leading in the direction of the other side. The side that I was not keen on exploring. My claws were dark, dull, and muddy, and the world was blurry from all the smoke that hung close to the ground.

I always believed that when I was freed that it would be because a kind family adopted me and my friends. I don't know how I got here but I could tell it was like the fight 5C, 6C, 7C, 89D, 15A and 16A got into when they broke out, which resulted in them all killing each other quite violently, with the owners of out 'home' just watching, talking about the fight, from what I understand.. Did humans do that too? Is that what the outside world is like?

A loud beeping sound pierced my ears. Then the sound of a loud explosion, like a gunshot, only thirty times louder, echoed around the field. My ears began to ring and I felt dizzy. I wobbled over to a blurry blob that sat behind blurry large objects in the form of a wall. I whimpered and collapsed before the creature before my vision blackened.

A/N: this dog is pretty special because of her growing human-like intelligence and the ability to see colours like the human eye sees. She doesn't exactly speak English, but she understands a bit.

I woke up laying on something. Loud gunshots continued as the hand stroked through my fur. I jumped up, looking at the human. My paws were still blood covered and my ears still had the faint ringing sound echoing around. The human ducked under the bags of... Flour?

A/N: It's sandbags but she either thinks it's bags of potatoes or bags of flour until she is taught otherwise.

The bullets were slowed down by the bags of flour or potatoes or some other substance, but that didn't mean some didn't go through.

One bullet pierced the bag, only to have sand pour out. The lady with blonde hair who was wearing a suit with yellowish brown blotches placed things over my ears, and the sounds got quieter. Everything was calmer.

The woman also had the things on her ears. I was grateful. She reached up at the gun and began to shoot again. It was loud, but not as loud as before. The ground shook as another loud explosion sounded off. You could hear the screams of the humans as they fought courageously... Or as they fought as cowards...

'Who is this person...' I thought to myself, looking over the sandbags. 'What's going on?' I wondered, tail tucked between my legs as I saw a whole army of people. I wasn't sure if I preferred the mill over the battleground, but the mill was more quiet and calm.

'When I am free from this battle ground I will know peace.' I yelled in my mind 'When this war has ended and all is quiet, happy is what we'll be.' I cried out in my mind. When this war is over, when peace is found...

The lady ducked behind the bags of sand and looked at me expectantly. I don't know what I'm supposed to do? I can't really hear her? Nor do I understand the hand motions she was making.

Another German Shepard spotted me, trotting over with a scowl on his face. He was wearing black padding on his back and a cap on his head. He had a black collar with a tag with the name 'Bobby' Carved into it.

The smell of 'Respect me or pay' hung around this guy like the smoke hung around the ground of this battlefield. He hit the things off of my ears after unsuccessfully trying to tell me something.

"WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING!?" He roared. He was much more of a lion than he was a dog. He had completely black fur although he was also a German Shepard, much like me.

"What do you mean? I don't even know why I'm here!" I roared back in response, although I sounded like a mouse compared to him. The ground rattled again, signaling that another bomb had just went off. More loud gunshots. The ringing sound in my ears began to intensify. I felt like the radio that the old man left for us in the mill for us to listen to although it was only static that played.

"YOU WERE TRAINED FOR THIS YOU RUNT!" He shouted again.

"STOP YELLING AT ME!"

"GO FIGHT"

"FIGHT WHO!?"

"THE OTHER SIDE, YOU MORON! WE ARE AT WAR! CAN'T YOU SEE!?" He snarled, frustrated at my lack of information on what was going on.

"Look pal," I walked closer to the other dog, causing him to take a few steps back. "I don't know where I am, or what I am supposed to do. I JUST RANDOMLY APPEARED HERE. LAST THING I REMEMBER, I WAS AT THE MILL IN MY CRATE BY 23B, MY FRIEND. NOW YOU BETTER BLOODY WELL EXPLAIN YOURSELF, OR SO HELP ME GOD!" My voice began to feel like it was louder than the explosions itself.

My tail was up, and my ears were back. I was threatening to bite, baring my teeth. The other dog's tail was tucked between his legs and he whimpered with fear. He hung his head low.

"Ma'am," he said, lowering his voice for the first time in the few minutes I've known him. "We are at war with the other side because they threatened to bomb us. They have, and we had no choice but to fight back. This isn't the end of the wars. Its the beginning." He paused, inhaling. He eyes were filled with sorrow, showing he lost someone.

'This guy gives up pretty fast' I thought to myself.

"We are supposed to take grenades to the other side and get the supplies of ammo for our companions, the humans." He explained.

"I see."

"Please, help us fight." He begged. Looks like someone was trained well.

"I don't know what ammo or grenades are." I sighed.

"Ammo? Ammo is bullets?" He explained. "Grenades are bombs. The things that are making explosions." He said as a grenade went off.

"If you're brave enough you can even go to the other side, pretending you are on their team, then blow em' up with their own grenades." The dog seemed to smile, showing some of his teeth. They looked brown and almost rotten, like 23B's.