In The Beginning

"I found an apartment, I'll be moving out in 2 weeks." my mother explained to my grandmother. We have been staying with her for three years after my parents divorce. I had a choice to choose my mom or dad on who I wanted to live with but of course I chose my mom.

Living with my grandmother hasn't been easy I started my 6th grade year at a totally different environment, fights every day, talking back to teachers, silent lunches. I came from a pretty good elementary school everyone had manners and no one got into fights maybe small arguments that lead to not letting them swing in the swings, but fights? I've never seen it till I came to Carver Middle School.

I had my first fight here as well, with a boy. With me not being a familiar face everyone chose to pick on me.

"Can you leave me alone!" I shouted to the boy and his friend. They were throwing paper balls at me and it was really starting to get on my nerves. The bell rung for school to get out and everyone rushed out the class. I was walking with my new friends Keisha and Michelle when James, the boy who was throwing the paper balls at me, tripped me up. I told my friend Keisha to hold my bookbag and ran and slap James with my purse. He then punched me in the eye and I fell to the ground. Little did I know they would never let me live this down.

The principal quickly came to courtyard where the fight was going on and scooped me up and told everyone to go home. He escorted us to the office and called my mom. I knew I wasn't going to hear the end of this one.

"I told you not to mess with those kids, they are from the ghetto, it's a wonder he didn't knock your head off!" I always cried when my mom yelled me. I didn't know why I was sensitive.

The principal suspended me for a day and told me I could not return until I've had a conference. I started off my first days in middle school horrible and I know it would be more to come.