Midnight Meadows Chapter 1

“WHAT THE FUCK IS GOIN ON IN HERE?!?”

              The voice, filled with anger as well as a little breathless, caused both men sitting on the couch to jump up and turn towards the sound. Standing beside a huge crate stood Tony and Bruce, one with a look of confusion and exhaustion while the other had a look of rage and betrayal.

        “Tony…Tony please, just listen to me for a minute…please?!” Steve was trying his best to remain calm but it wasn't easy, especially since his boyfriend was Tony Stark...a man prone to over emotional and exaggerated outbursts and was currently pissed off beyond all reasoning.

        “Just…just please…listen to me first before you jump to the wrong conclusions…” Steve’s voice faded as he saw his words weren't getting through to Tony. Betrayal, anger, and pain were flowing off of him in waves as he stood glaring at Steve and his newly resurrected best friend, Bucky Barnes, who was brought back to life as the assassin known as The Winter Soldier. Steve could tell from Tony’s stance that he was spoiling for a fight and tried his best to calm down everyone involved in the situation.

       “DON’T TALK TO ME!!!” Tony snarled, his rage and pain taking over all thought processes and higher levels of thinking. He couldn’t reconcile the image in front of him with the image playing in his head. ‘So last night...it meant nothing to Steve? NO…nonononono!!! Steve wouldn’t hurt me!’ He knew he could very well have misread the entire situation but unfortunately, Tony wasn’t inclined to listen to the little voice in his head or the one of the man he loved right at this moment.

       “There is NOTHING you can say that is going to make the current situation better or even change the way things look between you two. How," he took a deep, shuddering breath, "how long has THIS,” He gestured between them, "been going on, exactly?" It hurt…more than he could have ever thought possible. His chest ached more than it did before they removed the arc reactor, more than when he found out he had been dying of palladium poisoning. This hurt almost as bad as when Pepper had been injected with Extremis and almost died. He stood and stared at Steve and Bucky…both wearing matching looks of confusion, Bucky's was due to not knowing exactly why Tony was so upset. Steve’s was laced with a hint of fear and pain. ‘Good’ Tony thought to himself, ‘he deserves to feel as I do right now.’ Refusing to give in to the pain, Tony slowly started to back away from the scene in front of him, forgetting about the huge crate he and Bruce had just carried upstairs. He was suddenly exhausted in a way he had never been before and if he stayed any longer he was going to do or say something else that he didn’t mean. “I…I just…really…just please, don’t talk to me...right now…I can’t…not right now,” he stepped further back from both soldiers, his rich sable gaze never leaving the baby blue eyes of his boyfriend. “I think…I just need to be alone right now…” he said the last to Steve, who started to protest. “Bruce will know how to reach me as will JARVIS. If the Avengers are needed I will know but I can’t be here right now.” He was shaking, hands visibly trembling as he tried to control his emotions.

       “Where,” Steve cleared his throat as he tried again. “Where are you going Tony?” hating the desperate tone his words had taken on, torn between grabbing his boyfriend to make him listen and wanting to explain the situation between Tony and himself to Bucky, Steve glanced over at Bruce silently begging him for help.

        “First off let’s slow down for a sec, huh?? How bout somebody tell me what the hell Stark is going on bout? How long has WHAT been going on between me and Steve?” Bucky asked, not bothering to hide his dislike of Tony from his voice.

        Ignoring Bucky’s tone, Bruce spoke as calmly to Tony as possible, “Tony, look, don’t just up and leave. You know right now it’s just not safe for any of us to be alone. There are too many hazards, too many villains out there and you know as well as I do that most of them are after you just BECAUSE you're Tony Stark…Not Iron Man, just you. At least sit down and talk to Steve before you do anything rash…please.” Bruce didn’t usually say much but when he did he made it worthwhile. He could see the desperation in Steve’s eyes the pain he was feeling was written all over his face.

        “Why in the hell are we trying to keep Stark calm?” Turning to where Bruce and Tony stood Bucky asked, “What does it matter to you, Stark, what Steve and I do in our down time?”

        “Bucky…please…don’t start…just," Steve reached a hand out and placed it on the other mans shoulder.

        Going pale, Tony looked from Steve to Bucky then back to Steve again. Shaking his head, he seemed to come to a decision. Looking back at Bucky he said in a calm, flat voice, “You’re right Barnes. What does it matter to me how you and Cap spend your down time? There is nooo reason for anyone to try and keep me calm cause honestly I'm not angry or upset. As far as what's going on between you and Cap it's no one's business but yours."

       “Now Tony…” Bruce sighed resignedly.

       There was a sharp gasp from Steve but Tony ignored it. He kept his gaze locked on Bucky while still slowly easing his way to the elevator. Out of the corner of his eye he could see Steve slowly start to make his way around the back of the couch, inching closer to where Tony stood.'Huh...when had he moved that close?' If he moved fast enough and timed it just right he could be in the elevator and headed to the garage before Steve could make it around the crate and to the elevator. "I'll leave you all to your night," and with that Tony gave the crate he and Bruce had been standing by a soft pat and took off for the elevator, calling for JARVIS to get the Jaguar ready and ignored the sounds of Steve’s and Bruce's voices calling after him. "The car is ready & waiting sir," JARVIS stated. "Thanks J. You know how to reach me if I'm needed." he said. "Yes sir." Tony had just made it thru the doors of the elevator and punched the button for the garage when he heard Bruce say, “Just let him go and cool off Steve.” To which Steve gave a negative response and had just pushed past the huge crate Tony and Bruce had carried up from the workshop in time to see the elevator doors close and Tony headed down to the garage...