Fur Elise

They sit down with the intention of playing something beautiful. The other them sits down with the intention of sprawling thoughts into a page. Their fingers find the keys, glance at the page, look at the blank canvas. Sigh. Their two halves begin. One, playing Fur Elise, the other typing a story.

As they play, they think. The melody, confined to memory, rises and falls, each hand incomplete without the other. A thought spills out of their head, they are incomplete without That Someone. Love is incomplete without the other half. They repeat the phrase, already, the typer senses the beauty, in their head a second ago, beginning to fade. They near the next section, more lively, more upbeat. The happiness of love. On the surface, visible, but it still means something.

The complicated bit nears. Concentration. A few mistakes, but so are they, imperfect, but so is love. Mistakes are made, but the piece is still intact, still beautiful.

Words are spilling out of their head, they cannot capture then quickly enough. The melody slows, back to the original phrase. Calm. Relax.

Their fingers dance over the keys, the song repeated, still meaningful.

Smiles. Their favourite bit nears. The left hand provides a solid beat, like a heart, increasing the pace and intensifying the song. The right hand pounds out chords, deep and passionate. Thoughts, ideas swarm in their head, in their heart. Crescendo. Diminuendo. Calm. Crescendo. Diminuendo. Calm.

Free flight. The right hand escapes up over the piano, left hand supporting, creating music of power.

The pace slows. Returns to the simplicity of the repeated phrase.

It cries out. Words and thoughts cannot capture the song and emotions on this piano. Slows. Saddens as the piece ends. They let a tear escape, another word tied down on paper. Final chord.

They hold it until the notes fade completely. It feels unfinished. The story they have written is not worthy of that music. But it is enough. It brings meaning to them. To those that will listen.

Please listen.