Sibling Rivalry: A Percy Jackson Fan Fiction

The summer air felt surprisingly cool, and a slight breeze blew over the glistening lake of Camp Half Blood. Percy stepped out of the Poseidon cabin, ready for a dip, pondering whether he should swim in the lake or sea. The sea won out, so he headed over in the direction of the clear water.

On his way there, he saw Annabeth, inspecting a sketch of something on a table in front of the Athena cabin. For a moment, he just paused and gazed at her, taking in the fact that they were together, and it was a peaceful day. No wars, no blood, no death.

"Hey!" he called. "Do you want to go for a swim?"

Annabeth considered this. "Maybe, but I've got to finish off the design for the archway in the entrance of Olympus. There are these patterns that I've been trying to figure out for days, and there are so many options for the arch! " She stopped and contemplated the diagrams. "I think... Yeah... I could do that.."  She leaned against the table and scribbled a note on the top of the page.

Percy, who hadn’t even heard a single word Annabeth said after 'pattern', looked up from a particularly interesting bug, and noticed that she’d stopped talking.

"Huh?" was his intelligent answer.

Annabeth rolled her eyes. "Let me simplify this for you: I'll come after I finish this."

"Oh," Percy said, "okay."

"Seaweed brain," Annabeth muttered.

"Well you're an..." Percy hesitated. "Owl... brain..."

Annabeth just raised an eyebrow at him. "Owl brain? That's all you can think of?"

Percy blushed. "Well it's not my fault that your mom is the goddess of wisdom. That doesn't leave me with much of a choice, does it?"

"I guess it doesn't, considering I am the smarter one."

Percy rolled his eyes. "I'll wait for you down at the beach," he told her.

"’Kay."

With a slight wave and a kiss on the cheek, Percy continued on his way to the beach. Suddenly, he heard an unearthly, high pitched, girly shriek. He uncapped riptide and hurried towards the direction of the noise. Percy turned a corner, to face a very unexpected sight. Firstly, the screaming person wasn't a girl, it was a very ugly guy with messed up hair and a hoodie that was too small for him. Secondly, he was screaming in horror at something on the ground. Percy took a closer look, and found out it was actually an ant.

"Hey!" Percy shouted over his screech.

"KILL IT! KILL IT!" The ugly guy squealed.

"Okay!" Percy responded, amazed at the display of fear against an ant. He walked over to the ant and squished it underneath his foot. Sorry, he thought to the insect.

To his surprise, the screaming just rose in volume.

"AHHH! OH MY GOD! YOU SQUISHED IT! AHHH!"

Percy was astonished at the ugly guy's reaction. Just then, Annabeth arrived.

"What is that?" She called to Percy over the din.

Percy pointed towards the guy, who seemed to have moved on to hyperventilating over a leaf.

Annabeth walked over to him, clapping her hands over her ears.

"Who are you?" she asked.

"I'M ANDERSON! A SUPER STUPID PERSON THAT IS A PIG TO HIS SIBLINGS AND ALWAYS SWEARS! I AM A RETARDED PERSON THAT SHOULD DISAPPEAR OFF THE FACE OF THE EARTH FOR HUMANITY'S GOOD! I ALWAYS SHOW-OFF AND THINK I'M SO AWESOME AND COOL WHEN I'M NOT! AND I'M SCARED OF EVERYTHING ON EARTH! EVEN MY OWN REFLECTION IN THE MIRROR!" Then he seemed to catch sight of something behind Annabeth and began to shriek uncontrollably.

Suddenly, the earth shook. A blast of white light blinded the trio, and when they could see again, Hades stood in front of them. Anderson started screaming again.

"That's enough!" Hades thundered. "I will not tolerate this abominable, ridiculous noise!"

The ground shuddered, rocks crumbled.  A crack yawned wide right underneath Anderson, who fell through. Percy and Annabeth watched as his figure shrank, eventually disappearing, along with that high pitched wail.

Good riddance.

Hades nodded in satisfaction. Then snapped his fingers and dissipated into hundreds of miniscule ravens. The crack closed up as the last of the birds descended into the darkness.

Annabeth and Percy blinked.

"That was... Interesting," she said.

"Yeah."

The two stared for a while where the crack had been, then Percy broke the silence.

"You still up for a swim?"

Annabeth smiled. "Sure."

So arm in arm, they started towards the beach.