Chapter 1 - The job offer

This is not my work

The jeep rolled to a stop on the dry dirt of Montana. (Y/N) opened the door with a smile and looked out over the desert, her head filled with fond childhood memories. She tugged her ball cap on while walking towards the nearby trailer. (Y/N) knocked on the door, opened it, and leaned in. "Dad, you in here?" The silence of the small trailer answered her question. She shook her head. 'No surprise there.'

"Uh, do you need something miss?"

(Y/N) turned around to see a young man carrying a box of digging supplies. Smiling warmly at him, she closed the trailer door behind her. "Actually, yes. Do you know where Dr. Grant is?"

"Oh, yeah. He's just over that ridge, at the dig site." He pointed over to a hill to the west, the box of supplies almost slipping from his grasp.

She grabbed the box and steadied it in his hands. "Careful with this, I'm sure he wouldn't appreciate these being dropped."

Clearly nervous from their proximity, he stumbled over his words. "Yeah...I was...uh... just heading over there actually. I... uh...can take you over there... if you like."

"Thanks, I would appreciate that," she smiled politely at him before following him to the hill. He looked back at her every once in a while, clearly curious as to why she was here. (Y/N) gave him a nod when she caught him looking at her. As they made it over the crest of the hill, she looked down to see the familiar hustle of the dig site.

There was man with a familiar light brown cowboy's hat pointing toward a skeleton that was being unearthed. "Stop!" The people picking up the bones paused and looked up at him. "You have to remove them slower. They are very fragile during the removal process."

"You're probably more fragile than those 65 million year old bones!" (Y/N) yelled down with a bright smile on her face as she made her way down the hill. The man next to her looked at her, horrified, thinking she had a death wish.

The man turned toward her with a scowl, until he saw her face. Instantly his expression changed to surprise and happiness. "(Y/N)?! What are you doing here?"

She walked up to him and gave him a big hug, which he returned. "What? I can't come and visit my own father?" she said teasingly.

He looked down at her with a stern face, but amusement in his eyes. "You know that's not what I meant."

A small laugh escaped and she smiled at him. "I know dad. Actually, I had some news I wanted to talk to you about."

He raised an eyebrow curiously. "What news would require you to come all the way to Montana?"

They walked the short distance back to his trailer. "Well," she tried to figure out the best way to go about this. "I got a job offer."

He opened the door to his trailer and let her in first before shutting the door behind him. He took off his hat and placed it on the counter. "A job offer? What reason would you need to talk to me about some job offer?" There was concern evident in his voice.

(Y/N) suddenly felt very nervous, even after preparing for days for this confrontation. She started to pick at the edge of the counter with her back turned towards him. Swallowing the lump in her throat, she gathered up her courage and straightened before looking back at him. "Yes, from Jurassic World."

Before (Y/N) could say anything else, he blurted out, "No! I will not allow you to go near that god forsaken island." His voice rose and tightened with irritation, "They knew they couldn't get me or your mother to come, so they go after our daughter." She had expected him to be angry. Still, that didn't mean that she liked seeing him so upset. As he started to calm down from his outburst, (Y/N) could see the concern in his eyes when he looked at her. He sighed and sat down in a nearby chair, putting his face in his hands. After a brief moment he looked back up at her. "Why do they need a marine biologist anyhow?"

(Y/N) moved a stool over from the counter to sit next to him. "Apparently, they need someone to care of a Mosasaurus that they are creating for the park. I got the job because of my expertise in marine reptiles and uh..." she looked back to him, almost scared to say it.

The look in her eyes made him understand. "Because of your familiarity with the fossil remnants of dinosaurs," he finished.

She nodded slowly. The tense silence felt as if it dragged on for ages, before she decided to break it. "If it's worth anything, I haven't accepted it yet."

He raked a hand through his silvering hair, trying to wrap his head around the idea of his only daughter going that dreaded island. "Have you told your mother yet?"

(Y/N) shook her head. "Not yet, I will be heading there next though. I figured this was better to do in person."

"Well you're right about that. But it would have been better if it wasn't at all."

(Y/N) started to pick at her nails; it had always been one of her nervous habits. "I know dad. One reason I hadn't already accepted it yet is because I know what you and mom went through on Isla Nublar. This new park has been open now for a few months now with no incidents." He opened his mouth to inject, but she knew what he was going to say and held up a finger to stop him. "I voiced my concern about the park still being dangerous, and obviously someone did their homework, since they proceeded to offer me access to inspect the park and the facilities to make sure that I deemed it safe before accepting. They also told me that I would be the head of the division for the Mosasaurus, would be able to request anything that I felt I needed, and be allowed to study its behavior, etc. I also don't have to make my decision until after I visit the park and decide that I feel safe." She took a moment to let it sink in before she looked up at him and waited for his reply. He looked more tired now than when she met him out at the dig site.

He studied her face, his eyes searching. "You're going to that damned island aren't you? And there is no changing your mind."

It almost sounded like a question, but (Y/N) gravely nodded her head. "I grew up hearing your stories of those islands, Dad. I am also a scientist. Given the opportunity, how could I decline going to see the island that has the animals I've seen skeletons of since I was five? Not to mention all the stories I have heard." She paused, shrugging. "Even if it is only for a day before I decline their offer."

A small smile appeared on his lips. "Stubborn. Just like your mother."

"Which will make breaking the news to her next a lot of fun." She smiled back at him.

The tension started to fade as they both laughed. After thinking about it for a week, (Y/N) hadn't fully decided herself if she would actually decline the offer or not, but she had a feeling that they had a trick up their sleeve to make her stay.

Updating soonest