A Mere Prank

The night was cold, and dead silent. So silent that your own thoughts sounded like they were being played on an audio system. Sadly, it would not last for long. The cabin sat there, 2 kilometres from the lake, between two others. The one on its left, which was 7 yards away, was occupied by a newly-wed couple in their mid- twenties. The other, 10 yards to its right, was occupied by a group of "hunters", all who lived in the suburbs. Sarah stayed up reading her romance novel- placing herself in the shoes of the distressed damsel Giselle and imagining being rescued by the oh so charming Blake, in the cabin at the centre. She was using the light provided by the 70 year old lamp, on the equally antique side table, while she was lulled into her novel. She was propped on her bed and at peace.

In the room directly opposite the one Sarah shared with Eliza, Matt and Amy sat on his bed smooching. They were really getting at it. Matt began unbuttoning his checker shirt. When he was done, Amy pushed him, so that his back was against the mattress. They smiled at each other for a moment. Amy began to take off her see-through blouse when Matt whispered, "Hey, good thing this room is sound proof huh." And he winked at her. A cool breeze joined them at that very instant. Amy brought her mouth to his ear.

"I thought you said that the window couldn't open?" Amy inquired, confused.

"Huh?" was all Matt said. Then they felt it again. This time it was cooler. 

"Maaatt," Amy whispered, definitely uncertain this time. They froze. 

"Babe there's no way any bit of wind can be in here. The fan isn't even on." They both looked into the corner on the right of the room. The fan was off. It wasn't plugged. 

"But-" Click. The fan was now plugged. A bit of air greeted their bodies as the fan came on. Its blades were spinning at the minimum speed. Now on 2. Now 3. At that very moment, they were both upright on the bed. Matt reached for the walking stick next to the bed-side table. He had a firm grip on it, although his palms were getting sweaty. His heart was getting loud, pounding rapidly. He feigned a brave smile at Amy. She knew he was somewhat scared, but she got off the bed and stood behind him. The lights on the fan were going on and off now. As he inched nearer to it, he could hear Amy's rapid, short breaths behind him. He stretched out the walking stick, and used it to yank out the fan's wire from the switch. The blades slowed down, coming to a halt. They stood there, staring at it.

"It wasn't plugged," Amy said finally. 

"Maybe you were imagining A," Matt replied. He wasn't sure. He was certain that he saw the plug on the floor too, but he felt better in believing that the plug was in the outlet. However, he couldn't fathom how the fan came on anyway. Her big brown eyes were looking at him for reassurance. "A, it was in the out-" 

"Even if it was, you're going to say it automatically switches on after soe time?" Matt began, but, "Click." It was alive again.

"What the?" 

"And this time?" 

"That's impossible." 

"You're telling me," she scoffed, while moving towards the door. Matt looked at Amy, who was struggling to open the door, then at the fan. He yanked out the wire again, and backed up a bit, keeping his eyes on the fan.

"A, wait," he said, motioning her with his hand to stop, while his back was still turned to her. She stopped struggling. Amy moved towards Matt. Neither of them blinked. Click. But nothing happened. They began to relax. 

"Maaatthew. Dearie. Maaa-aa-tthew, dearie," a hoarse whisper. 

"Your cabin's haunted?" Amy went back to the door, struggling with its knob again. 

"Ha-ha-ha-haunted? No one died here...?" Matt inched towards the window, ready to break it with the walking stick any time soon.

Sarah got up, book in hand. She was heading for the kitchen, when she realised someone was trying to open Matt's door. "Lean off the door, douche," she thought. "And to think he'd remember that after spending our childhood summers here." She began walking off, and realised that the struggle was persistent. She opened her mouth to yell something but remembered that it would be pointless. She reached into her pocket.

Bzzz. Bzzz. Matt's pocket began to vibrate. "Maaaattt," the whisper continued. Then a figure in black jumped from the closet, a scythe in hand. Another crawled from under the bed. Amy let out a high pitch scream, while beating the door. Matt's heart dropped. "Sweet Jesus," he thought, "This can't be it." 

"Game over Maaatt," again the whisper. 

"Noooo! Fuck off!!" he managed, waving the walking stick threateningly. He reached into his pocket which was still vibrating, hands trembling. He pulled out his cell phone. His sister, Sarah, was calling. She was in the opposite room. Amy was screaming for help. 

"No use, no one can hear you," the body on the floor whispered loudly. It began moving like the ghost in grudge, but way slower. Matt's cell fell, when he tried to answer. It landed right before the figure with the scythe. It had a high hood, and a long black dress, with sleeves stretched out like bat wings, just like the grim reaper. 

"Holy SHIT!!!" Matt was beginning to lose it. His palms were so sweaty that the walking stick fell from his grip as well. He looked across the room. Amy was backing off into a corner. The figure on the floor inching towards her. She was crying. "Pl-pl-plea-please," Matt was begging. The figure before him laughed boisterously. The one behind, on the floor stopped. It got up. Both were laughing. Then they stopped. Hands reached towards Matt. His bladder began to hurt. The left hand came to touch him. It rested on his shoulder. He pissed himself. 

"The asshole pissed himself," came a voice coolly. Then both figures were laughing again. The voice was familiar "Dude, it's us," and the figure before him removed its hood. The one behind did the same. Before him stood his best friend Lucas, with a huge grin and his brother Peter chuckling. Matt was whimpering, desperate and confused. Then it hit him. 

"You fucking cunt!!" Matt finally shouted. Amy and Peter joined Lucas, all three laughing. "You dumb mofos! SERIOUSLY dude? That's not cool," he said, hands on his hips. 

"Hey, we didn't piss our pants. You couldn't have been that scared man." Lucas said, breaking off into a laugh."Yeah, yeah. Man I told you grim reapers used to haunt my dreams." Matt was now laughing. He looked at Amy, "You were in on this with these jerk offs?" She only smiled.

"I'd better go shower and change," Matt said after some time. 

"Do that bruh," Peter said. “You honestly smell like piss." Suddenly there was a tap at the window. "What now?" Matt moved to see what was there. He jumped a bit, after seeing a trollol mask outside of his window. "Enough already!!" he yelled. 

"What?" came Lucas' confused response. 

"Prank's over," Matt said. "You guys know that I don't like Trollol guy, this is too extreme!!" 

"Ugghh dude we know. I wouldn't go that far, " Lucas said. His friend's face got solemn. 

"Then who's the cunt outside?" Matt asked. 

"Outside? We have nothing to do there." 

Matt was at the door now. "Let me. Get my hand. On that person!" Matt said through his teeth. He pulled the knob, and then turned it. It opened. "So that's how it opens!" Just outside the door Sarah stood. Lucas, Amy and Peter saw a body come up, the Trollol mask on it, it began spinning. They headed out of the bedroom.

"What is it with you guys?" Sarah asked confused. 

"Run!" was their unanimous reply.  She looked into her brother's room, and saw what lurked outside his window. A mask was hanging in Jason's neck. Jason wearing a big smile.

"Why?" she called out. 

"Spinning head, with Trollol mask," Lucas said grabbing her hand. 

"Let go! It's only Jake, you dummy!" And they all turned. Lucas looked into the room and saw Jake laughing outside.

"You sick pricks!!!" Matt screamed. He stormed back into his room, pushing everyone out of his way. "Jake, you just enrolled 

Eliza, who had been asleep, came out and asked, "What's the racket? What did I miss?"