The Moving Secret

My five year old little sister, Lena, is asleep on the couch. after long thoughts of watching her, stalker-ish, I decide to bop her nose; She wakes up, and sounds groggy, but it’s the cute type of groggy. She smiles, and farts REALLY LOUD. I laugh too, and bop her on the nose again. her over excitement for her first day of kindergarten is starting to get to her; obviously. “Maisy- Ann, are you ready for high school?” Lena asks silently between snores. “Phff, no! I haven’t even picked out my outfit yet,” I sigh.

         I grab her hand, and we walk into the bathroom. I turn the shower on for her and escape into my room to get dressed.  My bedroom is the farthest away from the bathroom, which worries me. I peek out my bedroom window, I watch the cars roll down the street in a single file, almost perfect manner. Illinois, where I live, is too big and scary, I wouldn’t want to live here my whole life, I think, sighing.

         I open my door, and rush down the stairs to the bathroom, where Lena is. all I hear is a scream, and my mind goes blank from confusion. I open the bathroom door, and there stands Lena, screaming behind the curtain, yelling for me because she forgot a towel. “Maisy- Ann, where were you, I was a-scared, and I was trying to talk to you but you wouldn’t answer, and I got scared again, but I was too scared to look behind the shower curtain, thinking there might be monsters… I am cold…” I get a towel for her under the sink. I give it to her behind the cutain. Dad walks in carrying a baseball bat. “I heard screaming, what's going on?” He says, putting down the bat. “Nothing dad, Lena was just scared of monsters again.” I say, shooing him out of the room. “It’s ok, there is no monsters in this house anymore, remember the stuff dad sprayed to get rid of them last week?”, I say. Lena nods in agreement.

         Once Lena finishes her cereal, she gets her Dora The Explorer backpack, and we walk out of the house holding hands. We both go to the same school, that has all grades. K- 12th grade, which I think is pretty cool. “Maisy-Ann, I have to go potty,” Lena says, grasping my hand really tight. “Lena, school starts in 20 minutes, make it fast.” We walk in the kindergarten bathrooms, and every stall is filled, moms and their girls are in a line out the door. Lena starts to whine, and throw a tantrum.  Her coffee colored braided hair hits my chest, and all I can say is, “I can do nothing about it sweetheart.” Lena starts to cry, and I had no choice but to take her into the mens bathroom. as we are walking down the hall to the mens bathroom, I feel something wet hit my feet, and it’s not her water bottle.

         I pick her up, and take drag her down the campus to the nurses office. I hear the school bell, and all that I can do is drop her off at the nurse, and hope for the best. I carry her in the nurses office, and the ugly old nurse looks at me in confusion. “You gotta get in class ladies, what’s up?” she asks. “ Look at her pants” I say in disgust. Lena starts to cry and walks over to the ugly nurse, whose name is Linda. “Well, looks like you had an accident, we will call your parents and they will come and pick you up, ok?” Lena nods her head, and Linda looks at me. She smiles. “Number for mom and dad?” she demanded.

         I end up being 5 minutes late to class; not a good way to start off the school year. I sit down in an empty seat in the back, next to my giggling friend, Juliet. “Your shoe is wet, did you step in the urine down hall nine? everyone was grossed out by it,” Asks juliet laughing. “ Uh, My little sister did that, sorry to say,” I exclaimed. Juliet turns back to facing the teacher, trying not to laugh. “Excuse me, but are you Maisy-Ann?” I look up to see my teacher, Mr. Offing staring me right in the eye. “You have a pass?” he asks, putting his elbows down on my desk, kneeling down. Everyone stares, and my pale skin blushes. “No need to blush, you just need to have a pass,” Juliet says next to me. “I don’t have a pass…” I say nervously. “Well,” says Mr. Offing, “It’s going to be a hard year for you… come with me.” I follow Mr. Offing to his desk, he gets a piece of paper out, and he begins to write, “came late to class without a pass”. He hands it to me light like a feather, and Juliet comes to the front of the class to go with me.